Need help regarding automatic transmission

In summary, The conversation discusses the topic of automatic transmission and the speaker's need for articles and information on its basic concept and comparison with manual transmission, as well as preparing a PowerPoint presentation about it. They provide a link to a website that discusses different types of continuously variable transmissions (CVTs) and their efficiencies compared to manual transmissions. It is mentioned that CVTs may require water cooling, which indicates lower efficiency compared to manual transmissions.
vikkispike117
hiiii...
i needed some help in collecting some articles related to automatic transmission...i need the basic idea of it,and comparison with manual transmission...

Engineering news on Phys.org
can i have a basic idea of preparing ppt about automatic transmission...what an all should be included in it

The following website has a good discussion of the various types of continuusly variable transmissions (CVTs)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continu...e_transmission
None of the CVTs have efficiencies as high as manual transmissions: about 96% in all but the 1:1 gear which is about 98%. Manufactirers of CVTs will not disclose the efficiencies of their designs; it is proprietary.

Note that manual transmissions in standard automobiles do not require water cooling. If a particular CVT requires water cooling, that is proof that it is less efficient than a manual transmission.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Need help regarding automatic transmission

1. What is an automatic transmission?

An automatic transmission is a type of gearbox that automatically changes gears as the vehicle accelerates and decelerates, without the need for the driver to manually shift gears.

2. How does an automatic transmission work?

An automatic transmission uses a complex system of gears, clutches, and sensors to shift gears based on the speed and load of the vehicle. This allows for a seamless and smooth driving experience for the driver.

3. What are common problems with automatic transmissions?

Some common problems with automatic transmissions include slipping gears, delayed or rough shifting, and fluid leaks. These issues can be caused by a variety of factors such as low fluid levels, worn out clutches, or faulty sensors.

4. How often should I get my automatic transmission serviced?

It is recommended to get your automatic transmission serviced every 30,000-60,000 miles, depending on your vehicle's make and model. This includes changing the transmission fluid and filter, as well as inspecting for any potential issues.

5. Can I drive with a malfunctioning automatic transmission?

It is not recommended to drive with a malfunctioning automatic transmission as it can lead to further damage and potentially cause a breakdown. It is best to have the issue diagnosed and repaired by a professional mechanic as soon as possible.