NEED HELP reading data from flash memory module

In summary, the person is trying to get a .bin file from a flash memory module. They have attached a picture of the chip they are working with, the datasheet, and the pinout of said chip. They need this file in order to reverse engineer it to build a .def file for ecuflash or romraider. They appreciate the input, but they are going to do this project on their own. They are currently taking computer engineering classes and electrical and computer science classes and they hope that this will help them understand automotive ecus better and be able to reflash them on their own.
darksideauto
I am working on trying to get a .bin file from a flash memory module. Am29BL802C
I have attached a picture of the chip I am working with, the datasheet, and the pinout of said chip here --> http://forums.hackaday.com/viewtopic.ph ... 994#p10994
I need this file in order to reverse engineer it to build a .def file for ecuflash or romraider. This is my only flash memory module containing the information I need so I cannot mess it up. Could someone PLEASE help me out here so I can keep my project moving in the right path? Any help GREATLY appreciated as I am pulling my hair out over here. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
If the data is valuable to you, get a professional data recovery company to do the job. Google for somebody doing data recovery from computer hard drives, phone SIM cards, digital camera memory cards, etc in your area.

You might think their prices are high, but it will probably cost you just as much (including your time) and be a lot more risky to build the hardware and write the computer software you need to do it yourself.

AlephZero said:
If the data is valuable to you, get a professional data recovery company to do the job. Google for somebody doing data recovery from computer hard drives, phone SIM cards, digital camera memory cards, etc in your area.

You might think their prices are high, but it will probably cost you just as much (including your time) and be a lot more risky to build the hardware and write the computer software you need to do it yourself.

I appreciate the input but this is a project I want to do on my own. I am currently taking computer engineering classes and electrical and computer science classes and i believe that this will help me understand even more about automotive ecus in hopes that it will make me a better technician. I understand that i said this is the only copy I have but i can always purchase another salvaged unit if anything goes wrong I would just like to get it right The first time so i don't have to purchase another ecu. My long term goal is to be able to plug into the obd2 port, download the .bin, edit said file with a user friendly gui, and reflash it back to the car. Thanks for the input.

Sorry, we will not help you hack into the ECU to reverse engineer it. Thread closed.

I understand the frustration and urgency in needing to obtain data from a flash memory module. The first step in reading data from this module would be to ensure that the necessary equipment and software are available. This may include a flash memory reader/writer, appropriate software for reading and decoding the data, and a computer with the necessary ports to connect the module.

Next, it is important to carefully follow the pinout diagram provided in the datasheet to correctly connect the module to the reader/writer. Any incorrect connections could potentially damage the module and result in loss of data.

Once the module is connected, it is important to use the appropriate software to read the data. This may involve using specialized software designed for this specific module or a more general program for reading flash memory. It may also be helpful to consult with experts or online forums for guidance and troubleshooting.

It is also important to handle the module with care and avoid any physical damage that could result in loss of data. Backing up the data as soon as it is read is also recommended to ensure that it is not lost in case of any unexpected issues.

I hope this helps in your efforts to obtain the necessary data from the flash memory module. Remember to proceed with caution and seek assistance if needed. Good luck with your project!

Related to NEED HELP reading data from flash memory module

1. How do I access data from a flash memory module?

To access data from a flash memory module, you will need to use a microcontroller or a computer with a compatible interface. The interface must support the protocol used by the flash memory module, such as SPI or I2C. Once the interface is connected, you can use the appropriate commands to read the data from the flash memory module.

2. What is the difference between reading data from a flash memory module and a regular memory module?

Flash memory is non-volatile, meaning it retains data even when the power is turned off. This is different from regular memory modules, which are volatile and require constant power to retain data. Additionally, flash memory modules have a much higher storage capacity compared to regular memory modules.

3. Can I read data from a flash memory module without erasing it?

Yes, you can read data from a flash memory module without erasing it. Flash memory modules have a specific number of read cycles before they start to degrade, so it is important to limit the number of times data is read from the module. However, reading data does not erase it from the module.

4. How do I know if the data I am reading from a flash memory module is accurate?

To ensure the accuracy of the data being read from a flash memory module, you can use error correction codes (ECC) or checksums. These methods add extra bits to the data being stored and can detect and correct any errors that may occur during the reading process.

5. Can I read data from a damaged flash memory module?

It is possible to read data from a damaged flash memory module, but it depends on the extent of the damage. If the damage is minor, you may still be able to extract some data. However, if the damage is severe, it may not be possible to retrieve any data from the module. It is always important to handle flash memory modules carefully to avoid damage.