Need help on working out of a probability problem

• Thread starter paperdoll
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discusses two couples playing doubles in tennis and the probability of different team combinations. The homework statement mentions using a table or tree diagram to solve the problem. The attempt at a solution involves drawing a tree diagram but encountering difficulties. The conversation ends with a clarification of the question.
paperdoll

Homework Statement

I am so confused/lost with this problem because I don't know how to draw it out (table or tree diagram?) I can't figure out how to lay out all the combinations in a simple manner.Two couples, Mr and Mrs Jones and Mr and Mrs Smith play doubles in tennis. Each time they select the teams by placing all four names in a hat and randomly selecting two names. These two form one team and the remaining two form the other team.
WHat is the probabality of:
a)each wife partnering her husband
b)one male and one female on the team
c)the two men in one team and the two ladies in the other?

Homework Equations

table, tree diagram

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, tried drawing a tree diagram but it didn't seem to work because I need groups of 2 teams and when I draw the diagram, there is only 1 team...so it won't work. I'm not sure how can I set the info out so that I can have "groups" of teams, rather than the probablity of picking individual "2 person teams".

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, something must have happened to the "The attempt at the solution" section...

micromass said:
Hmm, something must have happened to the "The attempt at the solution" section...

edited...I tried to explain, hope it makes kind of sense :confused:

Hi paperdoll! :smile:

Which possible teams are there?

Related to Need help on working out of a probability problem

1. What is a probability problem?

A probability problem is a mathematical question that involves determining the likelihood of a certain event or outcome occurring. It can involve calculating the chance of rolling a specific number on a dice, or predicting the chances of winning the lottery.

2. How do I approach solving a probability problem?

The first step in solving a probability problem is to clearly define the problem and identify the relevant information. Then, use the appropriate formula or method to calculate the probability. Finally, interpret the results and make any necessary conclusions.

3. What are some common probability formulas?

Some common probability formulas include the basic probability formula P(A) = (number of desired outcomes)/(total number of possible outcomes), the combination formula nCr = n! / (r!(n-r)!), and the binomial distribution formula P(X=x) = (n choose x) * p^x * (1-p)^(n-x).

4. How can I check if my probability solution is correct?

You can check your probability solution by using a different method or formula to confirm your answer. You can also use simulations or experiments to test your solution. It is also important to double check your calculations to ensure that no mistakes were made.

5. What are some tips for solving probability problems?

Some tips for solving probability problems include understanding the problem, drawing diagrams or using visual aids, breaking the problem into smaller parts, and practicing with different types of problems. It is also helpful to check your work and make sure you understand the concept behind the problem, rather than just memorizing formulas.