Need help on simple binomial problem

• Thread starter kiurys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Binomial
In summary, the conversation was about a binomial problem in which a teacher wants to design a 15-question true-false quiz so that it is difficult for someone to pass by guessing. The question was how many questions should be required to pass in order to achieve a probability of less than 0.10 for passing. The solution involved using the factorial function and setting up an inequality to solve for the number of correct responses needed to pass. The person asking the question needed a quick response for an upcoming test.
kiurys
Hello everyone,

Just have a quick question on a binomial problem.

The problem is as follows:

A teacher is giving a 15 question true-false quiz. He wants to design the quiz such that a person that guesses on all the answers have less than a 0.10 probability of passing. What should the teacher put as the passing number of questions to achieve this?

I have no idea how to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose you call the number of correct responses needed to pass [itex] a [/itex]. If [itex] X [/itex] is the number of correc responses from 15 guesses, what must be the relation between [itex] X [/itex] and [itex] a [/itex] in order to pass?

I have my test in half an hour and that was the only question I didnt know how to do from the review.

So let A be the number needed to pass, then:

P(A) = 15_C_A * (0.5)^A * (0.5)^(15-A) = 15_C_A * (0.5)^15 = 0.000030518 * 15_C_A = 0.000030518 * [(15!)/(A!)(15-A)!]

and since I want P(A) < 0.10 then:

0.000030518 * [(15!)/(A!)(15-A)!] < 0.10

and solve for A? (no idea how to solve involving a factorial like that) Is this the way to go about this? A quick response will be appreciated :)

Related to Need help on simple binomial problem

1. What is a binomial problem?

A binomial problem is a type of probability problem that involves two possible outcomes, often referred to as "success" or "failure." It follows a specific formula, and each event in the problem is independent.

2. How do you solve a binomial problem?

To solve a binomial problem, you need to identify the values of n, p, and x in the formula P(x) = (n choose x) * p^x * (1-p)^(n-x). Then, plug those values into the formula and solve for P(x), which represents the probability of getting x successes in n trials with a probability of p for each trial.

3. What is the difference between a binomial problem and a normal distribution?

A binomial problem involves discrete, independent events, while a normal distribution involves continuous, dependent variables. In other words, a binomial problem deals with counting the number of successes, while a normal distribution deals with measuring a range of values.

4. Can a binomial problem have more than two outcomes?

No, a binomial problem by definition only has two possible outcomes. If there are more than two outcomes, it is considered a multinomial problem.

5. How can binomial problems be applied in real life?

Binomial problems can be used to calculate the probability of an event occurring a certain number of times in a given number of trials. This can be applied in various fields such as finance, biology, and sports to make predictions and informed decisions.