Need help on finding a program that can output transient curves as txt

In summary: He is trying to plot the current transient response of a circuit using FEMM and Pspice. He is having difficulty finding the points generated by Pspice in which to place the simulated points.
Astrofan
Hello!

I'm currently working on a solenoid and trying to simulate the response of a ferrous rod in the coil.

I've been using FEMM 4.2 for my magnetostatic simulations, and

Pspice Schematics 9.1 for the circuit part.

I was thinking of combining the two by using scripts to let FEMM run through the current transient response of the circuit to get an exact result (rather than just using a single current value and assuming a rectangular pulse)

However, my current problem is that Pspice only gives me the plot of the transient and by looking at all the files that it generates (in the same folder as the schematic file) i couldn't find any in which the simulated points are placed.

Please help me find a way around this problem, anything that will work and can be written into code will be fine for me.

Thanks in advance

P.S. Please redirect me if I'm posting in the wrong place

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Back in the days of Basic and dot matrix printers, I did this to plot results:

Write the points into an array,
scale the array entries so that every one was a number between 0 and 100,
which is essentially divide each entry by largest one , multiply by 100 and INT;

make each array entry into a string variable of ASCII space characters and an asterisk at the point corresponding to that entry's value,
for example if value of an entry is 50 then L$=49(chr$20h)+chr$(2Ah) , pardon my rusty grammar;

set my Epson dot matrix printer to 132 character line width;
print the string variables one to a line.

Take the paper as it comes out of the printer and turn it sideways and you have a plot.

In the days of TI99's and fanfold paper it worked great even for long plots.
Surely there's more modern tools nowadays..

old jim

Related to Need help on finding a program that can output transient curves as txt

1. What is a transient curve?

A transient curve is a graphical representation of the changing values of a variable over time. It shows how the variable behaves over a specific period, often in response to a stimulus or external force.

2. Why do I need a program to output transient curves?

A program that can output transient curves allows you to visualize and analyze data in a more organized and efficient manner. It also allows you to easily share and present your findings to others.

3. What types of programs can output transient curves?

There are various types of programs that can output transient curves, such as simulation software, data analysis tools, and programming languages like MATLAB or Python. The specific program you choose will depend on your needs and the type of data you are working with.

4. How do I find a program that can output transient curves as txt?

You can search for programs that can output transient curves by using keywords like "transient curves," "data analysis," and "txt file." You can also ask for recommendations from colleagues or consult online forums and communities for scientists and researchers.

5. Are there any free programs that can output transient curves?

Yes, there are free programs available that can output transient curves, such as GNU Octave, SciPy, and Plotly. However, some of these programs may have limited features compared to paid options, so it is important to research and compare different programs before making a decision.