Need help on another freefall problem.

• Thread starter Bensky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Freefall
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a foul ball being hit straight up into the air and getting caught in the backstop. The summary includes the given variables and equations, as well as an attempt at solving the problem and a discussion of possible errors. The person being asked for help suggests using y instead of x and drawing a diagram to better understand the problem.
Bensky
Need help on another freefall problem. :(

Homework Statement

A foul ball is hit approximately straight up into the air with a speed of 35 m/s.
a) How high does it go (above the bat): Already figured this out, 62.5m. The initial velocity in this problem was 35 m/s.
b) If it clears the backstop on the way up but gets caught and stuck in the backstop 4.00 meters above the bat on the way back down, how long is it in the air? (need help on this one)

variables:
t=?
g=-9.8 m/s^2
x=4 m
x0=62.5m
v0=0 m/s
v=0 m/s

Homework Equations

x=x0+v0t+(1/2)at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

x=x0+v0t+(1/2)at^2
4=62.5+(1/2)(-9.8)(t^2)
-58.5=-4.9t^2
t^2=11.93877551
t=3.455253321

Now, the correct answer to this problem is supposed to be 7.03s according to my teacher (he gave us the answers to check our work), but I obviously did something wrong and can't figure out what it is. I'm thinking maybe x isn't 4m, but I'm not sure. Any help is appreciated, thanks. :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First thing is first, there is no x in this problem. It may sound stupid..but do NOT use x as avariable when dealing with vertical displacement. USE y.

Secondly..4m IS displacement...why do you have 62.5 plugged in for v_0 ?

Casey

Saladsamurai said:
First thing is first, there is no x in this problem. It may sound stupid..but do NOT use x as avariable when dealing with vertical displacement. USE y.

Secondly..4m IS displacement...why do you have 62.5 plugged in for v_0 ?

Casey

62.5 isn't plugged into v0, I have 0 plugged into that. :confused: Did you mean y0?

Oh. Sorry. But now that makes it doubly incorrect. Is v_0=0? Hint:no.

What does the fact that the MAX HEIGHT that the ball travels is 62.5m have to do with this part of the problem? Hint: nothing.

Casey

Draw a Diagram and see what you can deduce from it and get back to me.

What is v_0...y_0...y_f?...

Related to Need help on another freefall problem.

1. How do I calculate the time it takes for an object to reach the ground in freefall?

To calculate the time in freefall, you can use the equation t = √(2h/g), where t is the time in seconds, h is the height in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s² on Earth).

2. What is the difference between freefall and regular falling?

In freefall, an object is only affected by the force of gravity and is not subject to any other forces such as air resistance. In regular falling, an object may also experience air resistance, which can slow down its acceleration towards the ground.

3. How does the mass of an object affect its freefall speed?

The mass of an object does not affect its freefall speed. All objects in freefall experience the same acceleration due to gravity, regardless of their mass.

4. Can you determine the distance an object will fall in freefall?

Yes, you can determine the distance an object will fall in freefall using the equation d = 1/2gt², where d is the distance in meters, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time in seconds.

5. Is freefall the same as weightlessness?

No, freefall and weightlessness are not the same. Weightlessness occurs when an object is in a state of freefall, but it can also occur in other situations, such as when an object is orbiting the Earth.