Need help interpreting the Wronskian

In summary, the given bases for the solution space are x, xe^x, and x^2e^x, which are linearly independent. However, the Wronskian of these functions yields W(x) = x^3e^x, which is equal to zero at x = 0. This does not affect their linear independence, as it is only a problem on an interval that includes 0.
kostoglotov
I'm given bases for a solution space [itex]\left \{ x,xe^x,x^2e^x \right \}[/itex]. Clearly these form a basis (are linearly independent).

But, unless I've made a mistake, doing the Wronskian on this yields [itex]W(x) = x^3e^x[/itex].

Isn't this Wronskian equal to zero at x = 0? Isn't that a problem for dependence/independence?

note: a DE to which this solution space applies has not been provided in the exercise.

Physics news on Phys.org
kostoglotov said:
I'm given bases for a solution space [itex]\left \{ x,xe^x,x^2e^x \right \}[/itex]. Clearly these form a basis (are linearly independent).

But, unless I've made a mistake, doing the Wronskian on this yields [itex]W(x) = x^3e^x[/itex].

Isn't this Wronskian equal to zero at x = 0? Isn't that a problem for dependence/independence?
No. The three functions are linearly independent on any interval that doesn't include 0. I'm assuming that you correctly evaluated the Wronskian.

Related to Need help interpreting the Wronskian

What is the Wronskian?

The Wronskian is a mathematical tool used to determine the linear independence of a set of functions. It is typically denoted by capital W and is calculated using the derivatives of the functions in the set.

How do you interpret the Wronskian?

The Wronskian is used to determine if a set of functions are linearly independent. If the Wronskian is non-zero, then the functions are linearly independent. If the Wronskian is zero, then the functions are linearly dependent.

What is the significance of the Wronskian in linear algebra?

The Wronskian is an important tool in linear algebra because it helps determine the fundamental solutions of a linear homogeneous differential equation. It also plays a role in finding the general solution to a system of differential equations.

How is the Wronskian used in other fields of science?

The Wronskian is not only used in mathematics and linear algebra, but also in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to solve differential equations and determine the stability of systems in these fields.

Are there any limitations to the Wronskian?

Yes, the Wronskian can only be used to determine the linear independence of a set of functions. It cannot determine linear dependence or independence of non-linear functions. Additionally, the Wronskian may only be used for systems of first-order differential equations.