Need help in the physic HW question

• Thread starter NasuSama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physic
In summary, the problem involves a bullet of mass 17.6 g and a block of mass 678 g, with the bullet striking the block at a speed of 565 m/s and exiting at 524 m/s. The task is to calculate the impulse exerted by the bullet on the block. The equation used is J = mv_f - mv_i and the attempt at a solution resulted in a negative value of -0.722, which is incorrect according to the professor. The correct approach is to find the change in momentum of the block first, and then calculate the impulse on the bullet by the block.
NasuSama

Homework Statement

A bullet of mass m = 17.6 g traveling horizontally at speed vo = 565 m/s strikes a block of mass M = 678 g sitting on a frictionless, horizontal table. This time, however, it comes out the other side of the block at speed v = 524 m/s.

Calculate J, the magnitude of the impulse exerted by the bullet on the block.

2. Homework Equations

Hm...

Impulse = Momentum = Ft = mv_f - mv_i

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the impulse is same as the momentum. I think that is...

Impulse = mv_f - mv_i

I got -0.722 but it's incorrect. My professor said that impulse can't be negative because time is positive and force is positive.

But it seems like I'm on the wrong path. (This is from the previous question. Seems like nobody wants to pay attention, so I ask again.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Impulse is the change in momentum during a collision. But the question's asking for the impulse on the bullet by the block, not the other way around. So you'll have to find the change in momentum of the block first.

NasuSama said:

Homework Statement

A bullet of mass m = 17.6 g traveling horizontally at speed vo = 565 m/s strikes a block of mass M = 678 g sitting on a frictionless, horizontal table. This time, however, it comes out the other side of the block at speed v = 524 m/s.

Calculate J, the magnitude of the impulse exerted by the bullet on the block.

2. Homework Equations

Hm...

Impulse = Δ Momentum Ft = mv_f - mv_i

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the impulse is same as the momentum. I think that is...

Impulse = mv_f - mv_i

I got -0.722 but it's incorrect.
This is the impulse exerted on the bullet by the block.
My professor said that impulse can't be negative because time is positive and force is positive.

But it seems like I'm on the wrong path. (This is from the previous question. Seems like nobody wants to pay attention, so I ask again.)

Related to Need help in the physic HW question

1. What is the problem you need help with in your physics homework?

The specific problem I am struggling with in my physics homework is related to calculating the force of gravity between two objects.

2. How have you attempted to solve the problem so far?

I have attempted to use the formula F = G (m1m2/r^2) to calculate the force of gravity, but I am struggling with plugging in the correct values for mass and distance.

3. Can you provide any additional information or context for the problem?

The problem involves two objects with masses of 5kg and 10kg respectively, and a distance of 2 meters between them. The value of G, the universal gravitational constant, is 6.67 x 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2.

4. Are there any specific concepts or equations that you are having trouble understanding?

I am having difficulty understanding how to apply the concept of gravitational force and the specific formula to solve for the force of gravity in this problem.

5. Can you provide any relevant diagrams or visuals to help explain the problem?

Unfortunately, I do not have any diagrams or visuals to provide at this time. I am primarily struggling with the mathematical aspect of the problem rather than the conceptual understanding.