Need help in step response circuit diagram

In summary: The voltage across the capacitor at t=0+ is 10V. This is because the switch was at 'a' for a long time, so the capacitor was charged to 10V. When the switch moves to 'b' at t=0, the voltage across the capacitor remains at 10V until it discharges through the resistor. This is why the 10V is included in the transformation circuit, as it is still a part of the initial conditions. Therefore, the answer key is correct and your understanding is also correct.
whatphysics
This isn't a homework question! I posted the question for context purpose.

So I understand that at t>0 the switch moves to b. Hence the first circuit diagram (pictured) I understand.

However for the 2nd circuit diagram (picture 2) when asked to transform to s domain. Why does this answer include the 10/s. To my understanding because the switch already switched to b, the 10V is no longer considered hence shouldn't be included as 10/s in the transformation circuit.

Can anyone explain this to me? Whether the answer key is wrong or are my concepts wrong?

Thank you so much in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_5434.JPG
    IMG_5434.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 515
  • IMG_5435.JPG
    IMG_5435.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 510
Engineering news on Phys.org
The switch was at 'a' for a long time. So what is the voltage across the capacitor at t=0+?

As I can see from picture 1, it asks for the voltage V(t) for ##t\geq 0## so we are interested for the V(t) for t=0 too (not only for t>0).

Delta² said:
As I can see from picture 1, it asks for the voltage V(t) for ##t\geq 0## so we are interested for the V(t) for t=0 too (not only for t>0).
Ah that would make sense..thanks!

cnh1995 said:
The switch was at 'a' for a long time. So what is the voltage across the capacitor at t=0+?
Um 10V?

whatphysics said:
Um 10V?
Yes.

Related to Need help in step response circuit diagram

1. What is a step response circuit diagram?

A step response circuit diagram is a visual representation of a circuit showing how it responds to a sudden change or "step" in input voltage or current. It is used to analyze the behavior and performance of a circuit.

2. How do I read a step response circuit diagram?

To read a step response circuit diagram, you need to understand the different components and symbols used. The input signal is typically represented by a step function, and the output signal is shown as a response curve. The slope and shape of the response curve indicate the circuit's characteristics.

3. How can I use a step response circuit diagram to troubleshoot a circuit?

A step response circuit diagram can be used to identify any abnormalities or unexpected behavior in a circuit. By comparing the expected response with the actual response, you can pinpoint any faulty components or connections and make necessary repairs.

4. Are there any tools or software available to create a step response circuit diagram?

Yes, there are various circuit simulation software programs that allow you to design and analyze step response circuit diagrams. These tools can help you save time and resources by simulating the circuit's behavior before physically building it.

5. Can a step response circuit diagram be used for any type of circuit?

Yes, a step response circuit diagram can be used for any type of circuit, including analog, digital, and mixed-signal circuits. It is a useful tool for understanding and analyzing the behavior of a circuit under different conditions and inputs.