Need help in applying Binomial Aproximation when y L?

In summary, Binomial Approximation is a statistical method used to estimate the probability of success in a series of independent trials. This method is particularly useful when the sample size is large and the probability of success is small. When dealing with a problem involving the probability of success being less than 0.5, the Binomial Approximation can be applied by using the rule of thumb that y < 0.05. This allows for a simplified calculation of the probability of success, making it easier to analyze and interpret the results.
Aristotle

Homework Statement

So I am working on an Electric Potential problem. There is a point P that is located on top of this rod ( this rod is aligned horizontally & is length L). I've solved this problem and got an answer.

I want to find when y>>L using Binomial Approximation except I am quite lost on how to apply it? If someone can please help.

The answer that I got while doing this from finding the electric potential is:V = 2kα [(L^2 / 16) + y^2 )^(1/2) - y ]

How would I use Binomial Approximation to get y>>L? Thanks in advance!

Homework Equations

Screen shot 2015-03-21 at 5.39.56 PM.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The (L2/16)1/2 can be simplified to L/4. The equation doesn't look like that which should be binomially expanded. If y>>L, the L/4 can be neglected, resulting in -y2kα.

Binomial expansion can be used on something of the form you have given in the "Relevant equation". I would suggest the 1/2 is maybe around the whole bracket, but then the equation isn't dimensionally correct.

Oh my mistake I wrote the answer incorrectly:
What I meant was this:

V = 2kα [(L^2 / 16) + y^2 )^(1/2) - y ]

How sure are you with that equation? It doesn't seem right. You would expect it to reduce to the point particle potential for y<<L. It doesn't really seem dimensionally consistent with a potential.

I would expect it to be divided by something like (sqrt(ay2+bL2)

We need to see the original problem statement - how do you know your answer is correct?

The problem states a rod -- nonuniformly. A point P located above center-rod (y distance away). Find e-potential at that point.

Aah, that can be expanded binomially:

Fisrtly, factor out y to reduce to (L2/16y+1)1/2

Then use (1+x)n = 1 + nx/1! + n(n-1)(x2)/2! +...

When you see L2/y2 or higher terms, they can be ignored. This will reduce the formula down

Given the problem you suggested, I would really consider looking at the first part again. The solution should reduce to the typical point particle potential if y>>L... I don't see this happening with your current solution

Stephen Hodgson said:

When you see L2/y2 or higher terms, they can be ignored. This will reduce the formula down
Stephen Hodgson said:

How did you factor the y out of

V = 2kα [(L^2 / 16) + y^2 )^(1/2) - y ]

Especially with the y^2 being in the square root still?

[L2+y2]1/2 = y[L2/y2+1]1/2

But again... I still expect something of the form

E=kQ/y[L2+y2]1/2

with maybe a few more constants flying around

Try looking at this website

I do agree with you that it indeed should look like a point charge when y>>L.

Also for the answer you provided:
[L2+y2]1/2 = y[L2/y2+1]1/2

Where did you L^2/4 (the 4 part in denominator go?)

I just ignored the constant... If I must:

[(L2/16) + y2 )1/2 - y ] = y[[L2/16*y2+1]1/2-1]

Okay I got an answer of 4kQ/y using the binomial expansion.

Are you sure about the 4? I expect kQ/y

Stephen Hodgson said:
Stephen Hodgson said:

Yeah sorry for being so brief about the problem, but I substituted in my alpha--which I found during the process of the problem within the first step. I really appreciate your help.

As for the problem so far, when y approaches zero, I get the same answer as when y>>L but with the denominator being L.

For when y>>L: kQ/y.

Nice! Glad I could help :smile:

Stephen Hodgson said:
Nice! Glad I could help :smile:

If i were to graph both of those as E-potential vs y distance.

Wouldn't it just be a 1/r graph on the positive side with it being a nonuniform rod? --Correct?

Stephen Hodgson said:

And yeah my bad I forgot to cancel out the 4s-- got kq/y :)

Stephen Hodgson said:
Try this link: http://www.slideshare.net/adcosmology/electrycity-2-p-c-r-o-1

The binomial expansion can't be used when y approaches 0. We ignored terms in it assuming y>>L
Oh I know, I didnt use binomial expansion for when y approaches 0. I figured that one already.

But my question was if i were to graph both of those as E-potential vs y distance.

Wouldn't it just be a 1/r graph on the positive side with it being a nonuniform rod? --Correct?
I mean the rod itself was lamda equaling to alpha |x|.

It would look similar to a 1/y, but not exactly. The potential depends on the physical distance the charge is away. At large values of y, the charge is almost all focused on a point. At small values of y, this charge's distance varies.

It will look like a |1/y| graph in the sense that when y→0 V→∞ when y→∞ V→0 and it has no turning point etc

Stephen Hodgson said:
It will look like a |1/y| graph in the sense that when y→0 V→∞ when y→∞ V→0 and it has no turning point etc

Ah I see. Just making sure, something like this?

CNX_Precalc_Figure_03_07_018.jpg

yes, but not as extreme as 1/y2

Stephen Hodgson said:
Stephen Hodgson said:

Ah okay thanks! -- only wanted to make sure that we had to include one coming down on the negative side of the graph, but I guess that makes sense because the (q) density is alpha|x|.

Yes, it clearly has to be an even function by symmetry

Stephen Hodgson said:
Yes, it clearly has to be an even function by symmetry
Awesome! -- Thanks for being a great help!

No problem :smile:

Related to Need help in applying Binomial Aproximation when y L?

1. What is the Binomial Approximation method?

The Binomial Approximation method is a statistical method used to estimate the probability of a specific event occurring when there are only two possible outcomes. It is based on the binomial distribution, which is a probability distribution that describes the number of successes in a fixed number of independent trials.

2. How is the Binomial Approximation method applied?

The Binomial Approximation method is applied by first determining the values of n, the number of trials, and p, the probability of success in each trial. Then, the formula for calculating the probability of a specific number of successes is used: P(k) = (n choose k) * p^k * (1-p)^(n-k), where k is the number of successes. This formula is used when the number of trials is large and the probability of success is small.

3. When is the Binomial Approximation method used?

The Binomial Approximation method is used when the number of trials is large and the probability of success is small. This is because in these cases, the exact binomial distribution can be difficult to calculate, and the binomial approximation method provides a good estimate.

4. What is the importance of using the Binomial Approximation method?

The Binomial Approximation method is important because it allows us to estimate the probability of a specific event occurring when there are only two possible outcomes. This can be useful in various fields such as finance, medicine, and psychology, where we may be interested in predicting the likelihood of a specific outcome.

5. What are some limitations of the Binomial Approximation method?

The Binomial Approximation method has some limitations, such as assuming that each trial is independent and that the probability of success remains constant throughout all trials. In real-world scenarios, these assumptions may not always hold true, leading to inaccurate estimates. Additionally, the method may not work well when the number of trials is relatively small.