Need help from Electrical Engineers Please (CFC60 and CFC36 reqs)

• Thread starter WCIGAFETW
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrical
In summary: CrashSoft is a software that helps you study vehicle dynamics so you can design and test filters for crashworthiness, and simulate crashes on a computer.
WCIGAFETW
Hello everyone,

I am needed to apply a filter to some acceleration data. That I think I can handle (I have chosen a Butterworth). What I do not understand are the CFC (Channel Filter Class) specifications. In particular, I do not know what a "Stop Damping" number specified in -dB is. Below is an example of a CFC60.

Filter type
CFC 60

Filter parameters
3 dB limit frequency: 100 Hz
Stop damping: –30 dB
Sampling frequency: At least 600 Hz

My sensor samples at 400 Hz which puts my CFC at about 36. Please correct me if I am wrong. At CFC 36, what would my parameters be? Do they define cut-off frequencies?

Thank you for any help. Google-skill"z" are failing me.

David

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why has my answer disappeared?

A butterworth is the worst possible choice because it rings much worse than the others, as compared at the same selectivity, and this may be important for an accelerometer filter. A Chebychev is better, an elliptic even better; the good ones among known names are minimum-Q elliptic, hourglass, and the best is inverse (or type II) Chebychev.

Your "stop damping" must be the attenuation in the stop band. To define a simple low-pass, you must still tell the corner frequency of the stop band.

The main difficulty here is that your software uses terms uncommon to the filter people.

Thanks for your help Enthalpy and NascentOxygen. I have been doing some reading into this stuff and think the only real parameters I need to be concerned with are the cutoff frequency and the order of the filter. I am still running a Butterworth (sorry Enthalpy) as it is the filter used by SAE for all of their analysis.

I found a 2nd order filter online with the coefficients explained and applied it to my data.

http://biomech.byu.edu/Portals/83/docs/exsc663/part01/filtering_considerations.pdf

The equation and coefs are simple enough. However, I am making assumptions as to what a CFC36 would be. I believe the parameters for that filter class would be as follows:

-3 dB limit frequency: 60 Hz
Stop damping: –30 dB
Sampling frequency: At least 360 Hz

Are cuttoff frequencies and this "-3 dB limit frequency" the same? Are these two things synonymous with rolloff frequencies? If these numbers and my assumptions are correct, my cutoff frequency to be applied is 60 Hz.

Thanks again for the assistance.

David

WCIGAFETW said:
Are cuttoff frequencies and this "-3 dB limit frequency" the same? Are these two things synonymous with rolloff frequencies?
-3dB and rolloff frequency are I'd say synonymous with "corner frequency". But "cutoff", I'm hesitant to say one way or the other.
If these numbers and my assumptions are correct, my cutoff frequency to be applied is 60 Hz.
If this is performed in software, then you could at a later stage easily double or halve the -3dB frequency and see whether there is any significant change in your results. If there is little change, then it's probably safe to conclude that you are capturing all significant components.

Enthalpy said:
A butterworth is the worst possible choice because it rings much worse than the others, as compared at the same selectivity, and this may be important for an accelerometer filter. A Chebychev is better, an elliptic even better; the good ones among known names are minimum-Q elliptic, hourglass, and the best is inverse (or type II) Chebychev.
The Tchebychev is very underdamped, so shows a lot of ringing compared to a Butterworth of the same order.

Please tell us that you're not programming the control system of a real vehicle.

NascentOxygen said:
The Tchebychev is very underdamped, so shows a lot of ringing compared to a Butterworth of the same order.

The aim of a filter is not to have a certain number of poles, but a certain selectivity, for which even the type I Chebychev has fewer poles and lower Q factors. This must be the reason why it rings less than a Butterworth at identical selectivity, and an elliptic even less.

Antiphon said:
Please tell us that you're not programming the control system of a real vehicle.

Or crash tests! I believe to remember such names like CFC36.

Fun: I studied and defined filters for CrashSoft, with much better ringing than the common ones, with a trainee called David like the OP here.

Related to Need help from Electrical Engineers Please (CFC60 and CFC36 reqs)

1. What are CFC60 and CFC36?

CFC60 and CFC36 are types of chlorofluorocarbons, or CFCs, which are synthetic chemicals used in various industries as refrigerants, solvents, and propellants. They have been found to be harmful to the Earth's ozone layer and have been phased out of use in many countries.

2. Why do you need help from electrical engineers for this project?

For this project, we are looking for ways to replace CFC60 and CFC36 with more environmentally friendly alternatives in electrical systems. Electrical engineers have the expertise and knowledge to design and implement these replacements in a safe and efficient manner.

3. What are the current regulations regarding CFC60 and CFC36?

In most countries, CFC60 and CFC36 have been banned or heavily restricted due to their negative impact on the environment. The Montreal Protocol, an international treaty, has been instrumental in phasing out the production and use of these chemicals.

4. How can electrical engineers help mitigate the use of CFC60 and CFC36?

Electrical engineers can help by finding alternative refrigerants or solvents that are more environmentally friendly and can be used in electrical systems. They can also design energy-efficient systems that require less refrigerant or solvent use, reducing the overall impact of CFCs on the environment.

5. Are there any potential challenges in replacing CFC60 and CFC36?

One of the main challenges in replacing CFC60 and CFC36 is finding alternatives that are both environmentally friendly and efficient in their designated use. Other challenges may include the cost of replacing existing systems and ensuring the safety and compatibility of the replacements with current electrical systems.