Need help for question on Friction

• Thread starter Daisy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the question at hand is how to find the frictional force (Ff) using the given equations and approaches. The minimum data needed to answer the question is the mass (m) and angle (θ) of the object, as well as the coefficient of friction (μ) and the normal force (N). The solution involves resolving the weight (mg) into its components and using Newton's second law in the y-direction, then applying the formula Ff=μN to find the frictional force.
Daisy

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2014-09-14 at 11.59.20 AM.png

So that is the question.

Homework Equations

The relevant equations I've used are:

Ff=μN

Ff=μkmgcosθ

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know what Ff is? I believe this question involves using toa, cah, soh, but i really am confused about how i should go about with it. :( Can somebody please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem statement provides a good deal more information than is required to answer the question. Can you identify the minimum data that is needed to answer the question?

If you don't know what Ff is, then you had better refer to your class notes to learn what Ff is.

Daisy said:

I don't even know what Ff is? I believe this question involves using toa, cah, soh, but i really am confused about how i should go about with it. :( Can somebody please help me?

Hi Daisy.Welcome to Physics forum.
I have made a figure for you.Please have a look here.
PPP@.png

From this figure resolve mg on X and Y axis then use Newton's second law in Y direction.
And from formula Ff =μR you can find frictional force.

Related to Need help for question on Friction

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the relative motion between two surfaces in contact. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surfaces that come into contact with each other.

2. How does friction affect movement?

Friction can either increase or decrease the movement of an object. It can slow down or stop the movement of an object by creating resistance, or it can help an object move by providing grip or traction.

3. What factors affect friction?

Some of the factors that affect friction include the nature of the surfaces in contact, the force pushing the surfaces together, and the roughness of the surfaces. Additionally, the type of motion (sliding, rolling, or fluid flow) and the presence of lubricants can also impact friction.

4. How is friction measured?

Friction is typically measured using a device called a tribometer, which applies a known force to a surface and measures the resulting frictional force. The coefficient of friction, which is the ratio of the frictional force to the applied force, is used to quantify the amount of friction.

5. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the two surfaces in contact. Other methods include using smooth or polished surfaces, reducing the force pushing the surfaces together, or using rolling instead of sliding motion.