Need help for project plans (Solar and Wind Generator)

In summary, the conversation is about building an auto-sufficient station and the user is looking for advice on calculating voltage and intensity for the charge controller, connecting the WT and SP in parallel, and determining the necessary current intensity to charge a 12V battery. The responder suggests following the manufacturer's recommendations and shares their personal experience with using a charge controller for a 100W solar panel and a 12V lead-acid battery. The conversation ends with the realization that the post is from 3 years ago.
SeaDawg
Hi, I'm trying to build an auto-sufficient station, this is my "blueprint" for mounting everything together :

https://goo.gl/photos/4KLmhUc9EDccMPkYA

and I would like to know if it was possible to calculate the voltage and intensity entering the Charge Controller without measuring it, if connecting the WT and the SP in parallel is a good idea, and how much current intensity is needed to charge a 12V battery (even if it has to take many hours) any tip is appreciated ! ^^

Engineering news on Phys.org
:welcome:

Every charge controller I have owned came with recommendations for connections including serial/parallel in the manual.

I would follow the manufacturer's advice.

Likes berkeman
anorlunda said:
:welcome:

Every charge controller I have owned came with recommendations for connections including serial/parallel in the manual.

I would follow the manufacturer's advice.

Okay, i'll wait till it's delivered to check that configuration then, thanks !

I click on your link, get album missing.
A bit vague. Charge controllers generally 1.) protect solar cells or wind generator from back current and 2.) prevent the battery from being damaged by overcharging. For my 1st 100W Solar Panel I had a rectifier and a relay that cut charging above 13.6 volts for a 12 volt LeadAcid battery. Twelve volts because RV stuff is 12 V. My panel was 21.6 V open circuit, but lower at its max current of 1 Amp. A L-A battery can absorb 10 Amps so overcurrent not an issue. Other battery chemistries are less forgiving. I once lived on a farm where the windmill charged an Edison battery, 50yrs old, which ran the electric water pump in the well. Edison is not the greatest battery but it survives abuse.

shjacks45 said:
I click on your link, get album missing.
Yeah, the post you're trying to respond to is 3 years old. Thanks for trying to respond. :smile:

Related to Need help for project plans (Solar and Wind Generator)

1. What are the main components needed for a solar and wind generator?

The main components needed for a solar and wind generator include solar panels, wind turbine, batteries, charge controller, and an inverter.

2. How much power can a solar and wind generator produce?

The power output of a solar and wind generator depends on various factors such as the size and quality of the components, weather conditions, and location. On average, a solar and wind generator can produce anywhere from 500 watts to 10,000 watts of electricity.

3. How do I calculate the size of the solar panels and wind turbine for my project?

The size of the solar panels and wind turbine needed for a project depends on the amount of power you want to generate and your energy needs. To calculate the size, you can use the average daily energy consumption of your household or business and then factor in the efficiency of the solar panels and wind turbine to determine the size needed.

4. What are the maintenance requirements for a solar and wind generator?

Solar and wind generators require minimal maintenance. It is important to regularly clean the solar panels and check for any damage or debris on the wind turbine. The batteries may also need to be replaced every few years depending on their lifespan.

5. Can a solar and wind generator be used off-grid?

Yes, a solar and wind generator can be used off-grid. In fact, they are a great alternative for remote locations where access to electricity is limited or expensive. However, proper planning and sizing are crucial for an off-grid system to meet your energy needs.