Need help for a statistical tool for my test

In summary, the speaker is a software programmer who wants to create a module for accurately computing payments. They are unsure of what statistical tool to use for this and are considering a chi-square test. They also mention another objective of creating a module for generating reports and ask for advice on what statistical test to use. They currently have two sets of data, one from their program and one from manual calculations, and are looking for a way to check the accuracy of their program. They mention using a confidence interval and a goodness of fit test, but are open to other suggestions.
mark.ramos
Hi!

I am a software programmer and I would like to make a performance analysis of my software. One of the objectives that we need to achieve is to create a module for accurately computing the payment. Now, my expected result is that all computations are accurate. What statistical tool should I use to support my observations. I am confused in using a chi-square test for this. The expected outcomes are either Accurate or Not Accurate. Since I assume that my computations are accurate, the frequency that I set for accurate is 10 and 0 for not accurate in the case of 10 trials. I hope someone can help me on this one.

Thank you!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
So you have a binomial distribution?

What information do you have? How do you tell if a calculation was accurate or not?

CRGreathouse said:
What information do you have? How do you tell if a calculation was accurate or not?

Well, to test if it is accurate, I first compute it manually (without the system) then I compare the computed value of the system and if it matches my manual computation I consider it accurate. By the way I would like to know what statistical test should I use if I want to determine if a module is working or not. Like I have an objective that I should create a module for generating reports, and I have to make a test that will support that I have achieved my objectives. What test should I use?

Thank you!

So you have 2 sets of data:

1) calculations from your program
2) handmade calculations

and you want to check it's accuracy, right?

My thoughts: (i'm not advanced in statistics though):
1) define what's 'accurate' (5% error?)
2) If you want to then define 'Confidence interval' and do some basic test or as you have written do some 'Goodness of fit' test (you can support it with p-value test, but it will probably give you the information: 'your hipothesis cannot be rejected' ...)

but let's wait till somebody wiser give you better answer;)

Related to Need help for a statistical tool for my test

1. What is a statistical tool and why do I need it for my test?

A statistical tool is a method or software used to analyze and interpret data in a statistical test. It helps to organize and make sense of the data, and allows you to draw conclusions and make decisions based on the results of your test.

2. How do I choose the right statistical tool for my test?

Choosing the right statistical tool depends on the type of data you have and the research question you are trying to answer. It is important to understand the characteristics of your data and the assumptions of the different statistical tools in order to make an informed decision.

3. Can I use more than one statistical tool for my test?

Yes, it is possible to use multiple statistical tools for your test. This can be helpful in validating the results and ensuring that they are accurate. However, it is important to avoid using too many tools as this can lead to conflicting or confusing results.

4. What are some common statistical tools used in research?

Some common statistical tools used in research include t-tests, ANOVA, regression analysis, and chi-square tests. The specific tool used will depend on the type of data and research question being addressed.

5. Do I need to have a strong background in statistics to use a statistical tool for my test?

Having a basic understanding of statistics is helpful when using a statistical tool for your test. However, many tools have user-friendly interfaces and instructions that can guide you through the analysis process. It is always recommended to consult with a statistician if you are unsure about the appropriate use of a statistical tool.