Need help finding References for Paramagnetism and Superparamagnetism

In summary, I recommend "Magnetism in Condensed Matter" by Stephen Blundell and "Introduction to Magnetic Materials" by B.D. Cullity and C.D. Graham as comprehensive sources on paramagnetism and superparamagnetism. Additionally, Physical Review B, Journal of Applied Physics, and Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials are good journals to find peer-reviewed articles on these topics. For more specific information on iron and iron oxide nanoparticles, searching for relevant articles or reviews would be beneficial.
Shiricon
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend some really good sources which discuss Paramagnetism and Superparamagnetism in a fairly rigorous manner.

I have been using Kittel, 7th Edition of Intro to Solid State Physics, as a reference source.

I was hoping to find another reliable textbook, thesis, dissertation, or peer-reviewed article that dealt specifically with paramagnetism and superparamagnetism both mathematically and physically.

I am currently writing the introduction section to my thesis in condensed matter physics and need to solidify my understanding of paramagnetism, superparamagnetism, domain formation, and size effects before I move forward. (I am working with nanoscaled iron and iron oxide systems embedded in nonmagnetic matrices.)

Thank you so much for any assistance you can provide.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

I am a condensed matter physicist and I would be happy to recommend some sources for you to deepen your understanding of paramagnetism and superparamagnetism.

Firstly, I would recommend the book "Magnetism in Condensed Matter" by Stephen Blundell. It covers a wide range of topics related to magnetism, including paramagnetism and superparamagnetism, with a good balance of mathematical and physical explanations.

Another great resource is the book "Introduction to Magnetic Materials" by B.D. Cullity and C.D. Graham. It covers the fundamentals of magnetism and also has a section specifically on superparamagnetism.

If you are looking for peer-reviewed articles, I would suggest checking out journals such as Physical Review B, Journal of Applied Physics, and Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials. These journals often have articles specifically on paramagnetism and superparamagnetism and they provide a more in-depth analysis of the topics.

In terms of the specific systems you are working with, I would recommend looking for articles or reviews on iron and iron oxide nanoparticles, as these will provide a more targeted and relevant understanding of the behavior of these materials.

I hope these recommendations are helpful to you. Best of luck with your thesis!

There are several reliable sources that can be used to further your understanding of paramagnetism and superparamagnetism.

1. "Magnetism in Condensed Matter" by Stephen Blundell: This textbook provides a thorough and rigorous discussion of magnetism in condensed matter, including paramagnetism and superparamagnetism. It also includes exercises and problems to help solidify your understanding.

2. "Magnetic Materials: Fundamentals and Applications" by Nicola A. Spaldin: This textbook covers a wide range of topics related to magnetism, including paramagnetism, superparamagnetism, and domain formation. It also includes real-world applications of these concepts.

3. "Superparamagnetism and Superparamagnetic Relaxation in Magnetic Nanoparticles" by Olivier M. G. Schneider and Etienne Snoeck: This peer-reviewed article discusses the physical and mathematical aspects of superparamagnetism in magnetic nanoparticles. It also includes experimental data and simulations to support the concepts.

4. "Paramagnetism: Magnetic Properties of Solids" by Richard M. Martin: This book focuses specifically on paramagnetism and its relation to other magnetic properties of solids. It includes both theoretical and experimental aspects of paramagnetism.

5. "Superparamagnetism, Magnetic Relaxation and Magnetocaloric Effect in Magnetic Nanoparticles" by Teresa P. Almeida: This thesis delves into the physics of superparamagnetism, including its effects on magnetic relaxation and the magnetocaloric effect. It also includes experimental data and simulations.

I hope these sources will be helpful in solidifying your understanding of paramagnetism and superparamagnetism. Best of luck with your thesis!

Related to Need help finding References for Paramagnetism and Superparamagnetism

1. What is the difference between paramagnetism and superparamagnetism?

Paramagnetism refers to the weak attraction of materials to an external magnetic field, while superparamagnetism is the spontaneous magnetization of small particles in the absence of an external field.

2. How does paramagnetism and superparamagnetism occur in materials?

Paramagnetism occurs when materials have unpaired electrons that align with the external magnetic field, while superparamagnetism occurs when small particles have a high concentration of unpaired electrons that spontaneously align with each other.

3. Can you provide examples of materials that exhibit paramagnetism and superparamagnetism?

Examples of paramagnetic materials include aluminum, platinum, and oxygen. Superparamagnetism can be observed in magnetic nanoparticles, such as iron oxide particles.

4. What are some applications of paramagnetism and superparamagnetism?

Paramagnetism is used in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and magnetic separation techniques, while superparamagnetism has applications in data storage, drug delivery, and biomedical imaging.

5. How can I find reliable references for paramagnetism and superparamagnetism?

You can find reliable references by searching for peer-reviewed articles in scientific databases, such as PubMed or Google Scholar. You can also consult textbooks and review articles on the topic.