Need help finding a strange vector system expression.

In summary, the toy cart is moving up a ramp, and the tension in the string is applying equally to the block on top of the cart. If the block doesn't have a net force of zero, the cart will accelerate and the block will eventually slide off the cart.
Croix

Homework Statement

A toy cart of mass M1 moves on frictionless wheels as it is pulled by a string under tension T. A block of mass M2 rests on top of the cart. The coefficient of static friction between the block and cart is μ. The cart is moving up a ramp at angle θ. Find an expression for the maximum tension, T, that will not cause the block to slide off the cart.

No variables given, obviously, since I need to simplify an expression

Homework Equations

Fs = m μ
Weight = m g
I don't know any others, this is the problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to do the algebra to get an expression. I just don't know what formulas I can use to find the expression. I'm completely stumped. The entire setup with the cart is just odd to me, I've never seen anything like it. The tension in the string applies equally to the block on top of the cart yes? So I need to somehow find the maximum static friction force for the block?

Physics news on Phys.org
As long as the block M2 is not slipping the tension pulling the cart M1 will produce the same acceleration in both.

Draw an FBD for M2. What conditions must be met for it to remain non-slipping?

It has to have a net force of zero, yea?

Croix said:
It has to have a net force of zero, yea?

M2 will be accelerating along with the cart, so no, the net force won't be zero. But a certain pair of forces has to sum to zero.

The acceleration will equal the maximum static friction force.

Croix said:
The acceleration will equal the maximum static friction force.

Acceleration isn't a force, but you're starting to get the picture.

Keep in mind that acceleration isn't the only thing creating a force on the block. The cart is also traveling up a slope so gravity gets involved in the friction battle. :wink:

Related to Need help finding a strange vector system expression.

1. What is a vector system expression?

A vector system expression is a mathematical representation of a vector in a given coordinate system. It typically includes the magnitude and direction of the vector.

2. How do I find a strange vector system expression?

To find a strange vector system expression, you will need to know the coordinates or components of the vector in the given coordinate system. From there, you can use mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication to create an expression that represents the vector.

3. What makes a vector system expression "strange"?

A vector system expression may be considered "strange" if it uses non-standard or unconventional coordinate systems, or if it involves complex mathematical operations. It may also be considered strange if it represents a vector that is not typically encountered in everyday situations.

4. Why is it important to understand vector system expressions?

Understanding vector system expressions is important for many fields of science and engineering, as they are used to represent physical quantities such as force, velocity, and acceleration. They also play a key role in solving problems involving motion and forces.

5. Can you provide an example of a strange vector system expression?

An example of a strange vector system expression could be:
V = (2sinθ + 3cosθ) i + (5tanθ + 4secθ) j
This expression represents a vector in a coordinate system where the x-axis is defined by the sine and cosine functions, and the y-axis is defined by the tangent and secant functions.