Need help figuring how much torque I need to move a cart.

In summary: This gear ratio should be sufficient to provide the required torque.In summary, for your project, you will need a motor that can produce at least 75 lb-ft of torque and a gear ratio of 5:1 with a minimum of 12 teeth on the sprocket and 60 teeth on the axle gear. I hope this helps with your project and I look forward to seeing your excel spreadsheet comparing different gear/motor combinations. Best of luck!
qwerty11
I'm undertaking a little project. I am wanting to outfit a cart like this (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200411313_200411313) with RC gear. It will most likely use a hub mounted gear and a motor shaft mounted sprocket to turn the rear axle. I need to know what size of motor and gears I need to purchase to move the load I will put on it. Would like to build an excel spreadsheet so I can compare gear/motor combinations.

Here is some relevant information:

Mass of trailer and load: 150 lb
Maximum speed: 5 mph
Maximum needed acceleration: whatever is reasonably close to human acceleraton
Tire diameter: 10"
Maximum grade: 30 degrees
Min/max number of teeth on sprocket: 8-20
Min/max number of teeth on axle gear: 40-114
Maximum motor RPM: don't have an exact number but electric motors (as you probably know) can spin pretty fast

I thank you for your help and look forward to learning how to calculate this.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

First of all, it's great to see that you are taking on this project and utilizing RC gear to make a functional cart. I would be happy to assist you in calculating the necessary motor and gear size for your project.

To start off, we need to understand the basic physics behind the movement of the cart. The force required to move an object is directly proportional to its mass and acceleration. In this case, the mass of the trailer and load is 150 lb and the maximum needed acceleration is reasonably close to human acceleration, which is about 3 m/s^2.

Using the formula F=ma, we can calculate the required force to move the cart, which is 450 lb-ft/s^2. This force will be applied to the rear axle through the motor and gears.

Next, we need to consider the speed and grade of the cart. Since the maximum speed is 5 mph and the maximum grade is 30 degrees, we can use the formula v^2=u^2+2as to calculate the required acceleration to move the cart uphill. This comes out to be 1.5 m/s^2.

Now, we can use this acceleration value to calculate the torque required to move the cart uphill. Torque is defined as the force applied at a distance from the pivot point. In this case, the pivot point is the rear axle. Using the formula T=Fd, where T is torque, F is force and d is the distance from the pivot point, we can calculate the torque required to move the cart uphill. Assuming the distance from the pivot point to the center of the wheel is 5 inches, the required torque comes out to be 75 lb-ft.

Now, we can use this torque value to determine the motor and gear size. The motor should be able to provide at least 75 lb-ft of torque to move the cart uphill. As for the gears, we need to make sure that the gear ratio is sufficient to provide the required torque. Using the formula gear ratio = number of teeth on axle gear/number of teeth on sprocket, we can calculate the gear ratio for different combinations of teeth on the sprocket and axle gear.

For example, if we choose 12 teeth on the sprocket and 60 teeth on the axle gear, the gear ratio would be 5:1. This means that for every 5 rotations of the sprocket, the axle

Related to Need help figuring how much torque I need to move a cart.

1. How do I calculate the torque needed to move a cart?

To calculate the torque needed to move a cart, you will need to know the weight of the cart, the coefficient of friction between the cart and the ground, and the distance the cart needs to be moved. You can then use the formula Torque = Force x Distance to determine the torque needed.

2. Can I use a standard torque calculation for all types of carts?

No, the torque needed to move a cart may vary depending on the type of cart and the surface it is being moved on. It is important to consider the specific characteristics of the cart and the environment in which it will be moving to accurately calculate the torque needed.

3. How does the weight of the cart affect the torque needed?

The weight of the cart plays a significant role in determining the torque needed to move it. The heavier the cart, the more torque will be required to overcome the force of gravity and move it forward. Therefore, it is important to consider the weight of the cart when calculating the torque needed.

4. What role does the coefficient of friction play in calculating torque?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces in contact. In the context of calculating torque, it is important because it affects the force needed to move the cart. The higher the coefficient of friction, the more force and therefore torque will be needed to move the cart.

5. Is there a way to reduce the torque needed to move a cart?

Yes, there are a few ways to reduce the torque needed to move a cart. One way is to reduce the weight of the cart by removing unnecessary items. Another way is to decrease the coefficient of friction by using a lubricant on the wheels or changing the surface the cart is being moved on. Additionally, using a lever or pulley system can also reduce the torque needed to move the cart.