Need Help creating a voltage regulator

In summary, the conversation discussed the need to create a voltage regulator with a 12V DC source and a sinusoidal wave in series with a load resistor of 200 ohms. The desired output voltage is 5.7V and the use of op amps, resistors, capacitors, and inductors was suggested. However, the individual had been unable to find information on creating a voltage regulator using op amps and their textbook did not cover this topic. The conversation also mentioned the possibility of using an op amp as a unity gain amplifier to produce a stable output voltage, but it was unclear if this would meet the desired 5.7V output.
wmcclusk
Need to create voltage regulator, using a sinusodial wave and a 12 V dc source in series and a load resistor 200 ohms. Voltage output must be 5.7
I Can use op amps, resistors, capacitors, and inductors

I have been working at this for weeks and I can not find any information on how to create one using op amps. My textbook does not go over this either, so I am really lost.

This is where I am so far i can get 11 V on Vout now, with very little sinusoidial action. But I do not know how to get to my desired Vout.

Attachments

• Circuit.JPG
    Circuit.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 388
Physics news on Phys.org
A voltage regulator is a device that produces a stable DC voltage of some known value.

It would not have a sinewave output.

Your parts list does not include anything you could make a proper voltage regulator from, but it would be possible to assume the 12 volt supply is stable and divide from that to get 5.7 volts. You can use an opamp as a unity gain amplifier to give an output that was fairly stable with varying loads.

Not sure if this is what you need, but I have modified your diagram to show how you would get this:
[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/opamp%20voltage%20divider.PNG

Note that the negative supply is probably not necessary for this and you could just Earth pin 4.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Need Help creating a voltage regulator

1. What is a voltage regulator and why is it important?

A voltage regulator is an electronic circuit that is used to control and maintain a constant output voltage in a power supply. It is important because it ensures that the voltage supplied to electronic devices remains within a safe and specified range, preventing damage to the devices.

2. What components are needed to create a voltage regulator?

The main components needed to create a voltage regulator are a voltage reference, a voltage divider, a control element such as a transistor or operational amplifier, and a feedback circuit. Additional components may also be needed depending on the type of regulator being built.

3. How do I choose the appropriate voltage regulator for my project?

When choosing a voltage regulator, you should consider the required input and output voltages, the maximum load current, and the type of regulator (linear or switching) that best suits your project's needs. You should also take into account the regulator's efficiency, cost, and availability.

4. What is the difference between a linear and a switching voltage regulator?

A linear voltage regulator uses a series pass element to regulate the output voltage, while a switching voltage regulator uses a switching element and inductor to regulate the output voltage. Linear regulators are simpler and cheaper, but less efficient, while switching regulators are more complex and expensive, but more efficient.

5. What are some common problems encountered when creating a voltage regulator?

Some common problems encountered when creating a voltage regulator include noise and ripple in the output voltage, instability due to incorrect component values or poor layout design, and thermal issues. It is important to carefully design and test the circuit to ensure proper functionality and performance.