Need help about reactor (inductor)

In summary, to increase the capacity of a 1kvA reactor to 81kvA, its dimension needs to be multiplied by 3. This is based on the relationships between current, voltage, capacity, and loss in a scaled reactor.
MissP.25_5
Can someone help me solve this? I don't really understand how to do this.

A 1kvA reactor's capacity is needed to be enlargedto 81kvA. How much does its dimension needs to be multiplied?

Hint:
when its dimension is m times enlargened, surface A'=m'A, flux ∅'=m^2∅, current I'=m^2I, voltage E'=m^2E, Capacity E'I'=m^4EI.

Loss Pe'=m^3Pe
Temperature θ'=loss/surface area = (m^3Pe)/m^2A = mθ

My attempt:
Capacity E'I'=m^4EI. So,
E'I' / EI = m^4
81/1 = m^4
m = 3.

Is the answer 3?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like a straight scaling to me too.
It helps if you lay it out formally:

If capacity is given by ##\small C=EI##
And you know the E and I scale by: ##\small E'=m^{\tiny 2}E## and ##\small I'=m^{\tiny 2}I##; then $$C'=E'I'=m^4EI=m^4C$$
The only way you can get this wrong is if any of these relations are wrong, or if you hit the wrong buttons on your calculator.

Your answer is saying you need to increase the characteristic dimension of the reactor to 3x it's current size to get an 81x increase in capacity.

Likes 1 person

Related to Need help about reactor (inductor)

1. What is a reactor (inductor)?

A reactor, also known as an inductor, is a passive electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of a magnetic field. It is typically made of a coil of wire and is used in electrical circuits to smooth out fluctuations in current or to block certain frequencies of electricity.

2. How does a reactor (inductor) work?

A reactor (inductor) works by creating a magnetic field when an electrical current flows through it. This magnetic field stores energy, which can then be released back into the circuit when needed. The inductor resists changes in the flow of current, which helps to stabilize the overall current in the circuit.

3. What are the different types of reactors (inductors)?

There are several types of reactors (inductors), including air core, iron core, and ferrite core. Air core reactors have a coil of wire surrounded by air, while iron core reactors have a coil wrapped around an iron core. Ferrite core reactors use a ferrite material, a type of ceramic, as the core material. Each type has different properties and is used for different applications.

4. What are some common applications of reactors (inductors)?

Reactors (inductors) have a wide range of applications in electronic circuits. Some common uses include smoothing out power supply fluctuations, reducing electrical noise, and filtering out unwanted frequencies. They are also used in power transmission and distribution systems to regulate current flow and protect equipment from power surges.

5. How do I choose the right reactor (inductor) for my project?

The right reactor (inductor) for your project will depend on factors such as the required inductance value, the frequency of the electrical signal, and the amount of current it needs to handle. You will also need to consider the physical size and cost of the inductor. It is best to consult with a knowledgeable engineer or refer to manufacturer specifications to determine the best inductor for your specific application.