Need formula to relate distance to arcsec in the sky

In summary, the homework statement is looking for a formula to find how long it will take a supernova explosion to be a size of one arc sec as seen on earth. They were trying to use a velocity formula from last semester, but don't remember what it was called. They were also looking for a diagram to help visualize the geometry of the situation. The shockwave of a supernova moves at the speed of light and is visible.
leonne

Homework Statement

I need to find how long it will take a supernova explosion to be a size of one arc sec here on earth, the distance to this explosion is 50 kilparsec

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Any clue on what the formula is?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
leonne said:

Homework Statement

I need to find how long it will take a supernova explosion to be a size of one arc sec here on earth, the distance to this explosion is 50 kilparsec

Wiki defines the kiloparsec at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsec so you can get the circumference at 50 kpc using Pi*d. Then divide by 360 to get degrees, 60 to get minutes, and 60 again to get seconds.

hmm, don't think that will help me I need to find how big the explosion needs to be to see 1 arc sec. With the radius, than i can calculate the time. I found this formula D=H/2tan(a) , but don't think it will work. either hmm. Well if I solve for H would that be the true diameter of the explosion?
Well thanks for the help

Have you tried drawing a diagram to see what the geometry of the situation is?

Things to keep in mind for very small angles: θ ≈ sin(θ) ≈ tan(θ).

You're looking for the time it takes "a supernova explosion to be a size of one arc sec [as seen] here on earth". What were you planning on using for the expansion rate of the supernova debris?

hey,
well i remembered using a formula last semester to find something similar, but forgot what the formula was. I found what the velocity was in part 1.

leonne said:
hey,
well i remembered using a formula last semester to find something similar, but forgot what the formula was. I found what the velocity was in part 1.

The shockwave of a supernova propagates at approximately the speed of light. I would suspect that's visible.

well we where told that ...ejected mass of 20 solar mass.

Related to Need formula to relate distance to arcsec in the sky

1) What is the formula for converting distance to arcseconds in the sky?

The formula for converting distance to arcseconds in the sky is: 1 degree = 60 arcminutes = 3600 arcseconds. This means that 1 arcsecond is equal to 1/3600th of a degree.

2) How can I calculate the distance in arcseconds for a given distance in light years?

To calculate the distance in arcseconds for a given distance in light years, you can use the formula: 1 light year = 63,240 astronomical units (AU) = 206,265,000 astronomical miles. Then, use the formula for converting AU to arcseconds: 1 AU = 4.84814 x 10^-6 arcseconds. Multiply the given distance in light years by 63,240 and then by 4.84814 x 10^-6 to get the distance in arcseconds.

3) Can I use the same formula to convert distance in kilometers to arcseconds?

No, the formula for converting distance to arcseconds in the sky is specifically for astronomical units and light years. To convert distance in kilometers to arcseconds, you will need to use the formula: 1 kilometer = 3.24078 x 10^-14 arcseconds.

4) How does the distance to arcseconds conversion differ for objects in the sky?

The distance to arcseconds conversion is the same for all objects in the sky, as it is based on the concept of angular distance. However, the actual distance in arcseconds will vary depending on the distance of the object from Earth.

5) Is there an easier way to convert distance to arcseconds without using formulas?

Yes, there are many online calculators and conversion tools available that can quickly and easily convert distance to arcseconds for you. You can also use a star chart or planetarium software to determine the distance in arcseconds of specific objects in the sky.