Need formula/help with mass air flow

In summary, Quinton found a formulae that calculates the force that will be developed when air is released from a tank. The equation is a 1st order separable ODE and requires integration to solve.
Quintonbs123
Hello,

My name is Quinton and I am doing a small project that includes a small compressed air tank attached to a section of 2" PVC pipe. My problem is I need to find the force that the air creates when all the air from the tank is released through a valve (also 2"). Any help is appreciated.

-Quinton

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to calculate the force when air is released by knowing what? I mean, i imagine you´ll be able to know the air's pressure and volume, is that the data that I can use to give you and answer?

Thanks

Correct. The tank has a volume of 603.18 inches3 and the tank would be at a pressure of 80psi.

You´ll see Quintonbs I've been doing some calculation and I have found a formulae that gives the force that will develop the air going out the tank. I'm quite unconfident of it beacuse it looks "odd" to me (too simple, too... I don't know), so please if anybody who can judge it read this post i ask him/her to do it.

If A is the section of the pipe inside which air flows and P is pressure inside of the tank and P0 outside it, the propulsion force in the opposite direction of the air flow in modulus is given by:

[tex]F_{prop}=2A(P-P_{0})[/tex]

I´ll keep on this tomorrow so is probable i do some corrections

salutatios :)

That kind of sounds right. But the variable that I can't seem to fit anywhere is time. The longer the mass of air takes to exit the nozzle the less force it will give. I don't know how to calculate that in.

Yeh, as I said I've doing some more calculations and found that the problem is to obtain a P(t) since pressure inside the tank decreases as air is released of it.

Here I show my calculations to get a P(t), so please if anybody see any mistake in my approach i'd be glad to know. Well let's start:

1st Consider the state equation for ideal gases

[tex]PV=nRT\Rightarrow PV=\frac{m}{P_{m}}RT[/tex]

then if m is the mass of air inside the tank and P its pressure (the rest of factors are constants), differenciate both sides of the eq. to get dP/dt

[tex]\frac{dP}{dt}=\frac{dm}{dt}\frac{RT}{VP_{m}}[/tex]

2nd Using the expression I found for the above-calculated Fprop of dm/dt and simplifying we get the ODE

[tex]\frac{dP}{dt}=\frac{Av}{V}\sqrt{P^2-PP_{0}}[/tex]

here A is the section of the valve, V is the volume of the tank and v is a constant that depends on air's temperature as follows

[tex]v=\sqrt{\frac{2RT}{P_{m}}}[/tex]

where R is the ideal gasses constant (R=0.082 atm·L/mol·ºK), Pm air's molecuar mass and T air's temperature.

3rd Solve this 1st order-separable ODE (whith sightly heavy integration) with condition P(0)=Pi and get P(t)

[tex]P=P_0sinh^{2}(\frac{Av}{2V}t-k)[/tex]

where k is

[tex]k=arcsinh\sqrt{\frac{P_i}{P_0}}[/tex]

Just to make clear P is P(t), P0 is atmosferic pressure and Pi is initial pressure in the tank.

That was the calculations I made for modelizing air flowing out a constant-volume tank, so to get the "desired" ;) F(t) just put P(t) in the formulae I wrote above:

[tex]F_{prop}(t)=2AP_0(sinh^2(\frac{Av}{2V}t-k)-1)[/tex]

Hope this helps, good science Quintonbs. :)

Related to Need formula/help with mass air flow

1. What is a mass air flow sensor and why is it important?

A mass air flow sensor, also known as a MAF sensor, is a critical component of a vehicle's engine management system. It measures the amount of air entering the engine and sends this information to the engine control unit, which then adjusts the air-fuel ratio for optimal performance. Without a functioning MAF sensor, the engine may experience issues such as poor fuel efficiency, reduced power, and even stalling.

2. What are the common signs of a faulty mass air flow sensor?

Some common symptoms of a faulty MAF sensor include a decrease in engine power, hesitation or stumbling during acceleration, and a decrease in fuel efficiency. The "check engine" light may also come on, and the vehicle may fail emissions tests. It is important to address these issues promptly to avoid further damage to the engine.

3. How can I diagnose a problem with my mass air flow sensor?

If you suspect an issue with your MAF sensor, it is best to take your vehicle to a mechanic who can use specialized tools to diagnose the problem. However, you can also perform a visual inspection of the sensor for any signs of damage or dirt buildup. Additionally, you can use a multimeter to test the sensor's voltage and resistance to determine if it is functioning properly.

4. Can a dirty air filter affect the mass air flow sensor?

Yes, a dirty air filter can negatively impact the performance of the mass air flow sensor. If the air filter is clogged, it can restrict the amount of air entering the engine, causing the sensor to provide inaccurate readings. It is important to regularly replace the air filter to maintain the proper functioning of the MAF sensor.

5. Should I attempt to clean or replace the mass air flow sensor myself?

It is not recommended to clean or replace the MAF sensor yourself unless you have experience and the necessary tools. The sensor is delicate and can easily be damaged if not handled properly. It is best to leave this task to a professional mechanic who can ensure the sensor is cleaned or replaced correctly to avoid any further issues.