Need Formula: 2D Relativistic (hopefully) Collisions with COR (e)

In summary, Ted Graham has a book that discusses the non-relativistic equations for speed and angle in a 2D collision. He recommends reading it to find the formula. He also recommends searching online for the formula. In addition, he provides a link to a website that provides a relativistic equation for the perpendicular component of velocity in a collision.
Sunmaz
I need a formula that yields the speed and angle after a 2D collision that uses the coefficient of restitution (e). Preferably this would also be relativistic. I have searched EVERYWHERE for this and could not find it.
To "prove" that I have indeed tried I have read the collision sections of Classical Mechanics by R. Douglas Gregory, Mechanics, Volume 4
By Ted Graham, Aidan Burrows, Brian Gaulter, Physics for Scientists and Engineers, Volume 2
By Lawrence S. Lerner, Impact Mechanics
By W. J. Stronge, Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics
By Russell C. Hibbeler, and MANY more...I have also searched extensively online to no avail. Please find/derive this formula for me! Thanks!

The most useful thing I have found so far is: http://books.google.ca/books?id=oVL...icient of restitution collision angle&f=false

This gives a non-relativistic speed using COR but I need the angle too but not for the scenario I describe (a 2D collision between two spheres) - perhaps someone could also explain how to get that from the formula there. Does the COR only effect v and not the angle? Shouldn't a speed formula be independent of the incident angles (and that be factored in with the calculation of the exiting angle)?

Thank you for any and all help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
39 views and no posts?! Come on - please help!

Someone must have something to say regarding this?!

Take a look at Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coefficient_of_restitution
The article shows the non-relativistic equations for velocity perpendicular to the collision plane, together with the procedure for deriving them, starting from the definition of COR and the law of conservation of momentum. I imagine that you could take those equations, replace the non-relativistic law of conservation of momentum as used in the Wikipedia article with the relativistic one, and derive a relativistic equation for the perpendicular component of velocity in a collision. You should also be able to assume that the parallel component of velocity remains the same, as in NR collisions, and from that obtain the formulas for speed and angle. I wouldn't be surprised if they look pretty ugly, though.

I've written http://www.ellipsix.net/blog/post.84.html about a special case of inelastic collisions that you could look at, basically as an example of manipulating the collision equations - but it's not particularly relevant to your situation.
http://www.ellipsix.net/blog/post.84.html

Thanks. I was hoping that someone would know it but I guess I'll have to try that.

In all honesty I'm not sure I'm mathematically capable of it but I can try :P.

Give it a try and post it here, maybe we can help you fix it up. It'll be good learning experience too. (If it's not obvious to you how to do so, I'd suggest first trying to reproduce the collision equations given on the Wikipedia page as practice.)

I will follow your advice and post it here when I get the time (hopefully within the next week and a half). I looked at what you wrote and it is very well written and quite enlightening (although like you said it is not of much use to me). Thanks for the advice and well done!

Related to Need Formula: 2D Relativistic (hopefully) Collisions with COR (e)

1. What is the formula for calculating 2D relativistic collisions with coefficient of restitution (COR)?

The formula for 2D relativistic collisions with COR is:

m1u1 + m2u2 = m1v1 + m2v2

where m1 and m2 are the masses of the colliding objects, u1 and u2 are their initial velocities, and v1 and v2 are their final velocities.

2. How is COR related to the elasticity of a collision?

COR is a measure of the elasticity of a collision. It represents the ratio of the relative velocity of the two objects after the collision to their relative velocity before the collision. A COR of 1 represents a perfectly elastic collision, while a COR of 0 represents a completely inelastic collision.

3. Can this formula be used for collisions between objects of any size or mass?

Yes, this formula can be used for collisions between objects of any size or mass. However, it is most accurate for collisions between objects that are relatively small compared to the speed of light.

4. How does the formula account for relativistic effects?

The formula takes into account the relativistic effects of time dilation and length contraction by using the relativistic mass of the objects. This accounts for the increase in mass as an object approaches the speed of light, which affects its momentum and velocity.

5. Are there any limitations to using this formula?

While this formula is useful for calculating 2D relativistic collisions with COR, it does not account for external forces or other factors that may affect the collision. It also assumes a perfectly flat surface and does not account for any rotational motion of the objects. Additionally, it may not be accurate for collisions involving very large or massive objects, as the effects of general relativity may need to be taken into account.

Back