Where Can I Find Quality Open Source Learning Resources for French and Russian?

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for resources to learn French and/or Russian and asking for recommendations from native speakers. They are also discussing different websites and programs that offer language learning materials, such as the Annenberg Foundation site and the FSI Language Courses website. There is also a suggestion to learn Norwegian instead.
issacnewton
Hi

I am thinking of learning french and/or russian. In the days of open source software, I am sure
people have created great resources for this purpose. I am looking for such learning material.
May be videos and stuff. Should have clear information on pronunciations. There is a lot
of information pollution on the net. So its difficult to decide which is good.

Can any native speakers of these languages guide me to the intelligent resources.

Science news on Phys.org
I found this Annenberg Foundation site after seeing their advert on our local public broadcasting station for the n'th time. You will have to allow pop-ups to view their videos.

http://www.learner.org/index.html#"

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the best that I have seen. It consists of documents from the governments language training program that are now in public domain. The FSI (whomever they are) gathered them all up and created this website.

http://fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php

thanks for the links. will definitely check them.

FSI = Foreign Service Institute. Used to teach State Dept. and other Government employees before/during overseas assignments. Now I believe they use Rosetta Stone. Not 100% sure on that though because I've been a civilian so long.

Why not learn Norwegian instead?
It's a beautiful language (the best there is, actually)!

As for learning it, just move here, and you'll learn it soon enough.

Welcome!
:smile:

You can check out this http://www.english-spanish-translations.com/translation-directory/Dictionaries/Dictionaries.htm" category, most are paid stuff, but you never know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Where Can I Find Quality Open Source Learning Resources for French and Russian?

1. What are some good resources for learning a new foreign language?

There are many resources available for learning a new foreign language, including textbooks, online courses, language learning apps, and immersion programs. It is important to find a resource that fits your learning style and goals.

2. Are there any free resources for learning a new foreign language?

Yes, there are several free resources available for learning a new foreign language, such as Duolingo, Memrise, and Open Culture. These resources may have limited features compared to paid resources, but they can still be useful for building basic language skills.

3. What are the benefits of using foreign language resources?

Using foreign language resources can help improve your language skills and understanding of a different culture. They can also provide structured learning and practice opportunities, which can be beneficial for those who are self-studying a language.

4. How do I know which foreign language resources are reputable and effective?

When researching foreign language resources, it is important to look at reviews and ratings from other users. You can also consult with language teachers or experts for recommendations. It may also be helpful to try out a free trial or demo of the resource before committing to purchasing it.

5. Can I use foreign language resources to become fluent in a language?

Foreign language resources can be a useful tool for learning a new language, but they are not a guarantee of fluency. Becoming fluent in a language requires consistent practice and immersion in the language and culture. It is important to supplement the use of resources with other forms of language learning, such as speaking with native speakers or attending language classes.