Need feedback for an experiment involving Geiger tubes

In summary, the conversation revolves around the idea of using a Geiger-Muller set-up to measure an increase in background radiation due to cosmic rays at different elevations. The main goal is to use this as a payload for a rocket competition, but the experiment is also partly educational and for fun. The idea of using a cloud chamber is also discussed as an alternative, but it is decided against due to the challenges of maintaining it during the rocket's flight. The conversation also mentions the use of a cloud chamber at ground level to prove the passage of muons through the rocket's material.
Nicholas moore
I hypothesize that I can measure an increase in background radiation due to cosmic rays from ground level in Utah to 10,000 ft altitude with a Geiger Muller set-up. I feel that I have enough information to order equipment now (a working knowledge of gm tubes, energy levels of & the special relativistic effects that apply to muons) but I would love for someone with hands-on experience with gm tubes to tell me that this idea is either valid or totally bogus. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Nicholas moore said:
I hypothesize that I can measure an increase in background radiation due to cosmic rays from ground level in Utah to 10,000 ft altitude with a Geiger Muller set-up. I feel that I have enough information to order equipment now (a working knowledge of gm tubes, energy levels of & the special relativistic effects that apply to muons) but I would love for someone with hands-on experience with gm tubes to tell me that this idea is either valid or totally bogus. Thanks!

Similar ideas:
http://www.colorado.edu/physics/phys1140/phys1140_sp05/Experiments/O1Fall04.pdf (mentions 2X counts at 1 mile compared with sea level)
(measures counts as a function of elevation in airplane)

And that brings me back to the original puzzle that I had when I first read the OP's post. This has been done many times under different studies and circumstances,. so why are you trying to do this? Is this simply just to see if you know how to operate a Geiger tube? Or is this educational?

If it is educational or a teaching demonstration, then I'd say that you get more bang for your buck if you get a cloud chamber instead. The students will see a lot more effects at different elevations, and they might even be able to identify different types of background radiation, something that you can't decipher using the Geiger tube.

Zz.

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback!
I should supply some more details. The Geiger-Muller tubes will be the payload for a rocket. The main goal is not to transport GM tubes to altitude to do this test, but rather the rocket has the payload as a design requirement for competition against other rockets. Because of the very high initial acceleration of our rocket, the short flight time, and the need to maintain the isopropyl alcohol mist in these conditions, we decided against a cloud chamber.
However, we will be using a cloud chamber to prove we can get cosmic rays (mostly, if not entirely, muons) to come through one layer of our rocket body. Well, for proof, and for fun.

So, it is partly educational, partly for competition, it is a proof-of-concept experiment, and we are now thinking about developing an application for this test, or for the set-up.

Um...how do you plan to read out the cloud chamber if it's on a rocket? For that matter, how do you plan to keep the chamber still?

Vanadium 50 said:
Um...how do you plan to read out the cloud chamber if it's on a rocket? For that matter, how do you plan to keep the chamber still?

The cloud chamber won't go in the rocket. We can use the cloud chamber at ground level to prove Muons can pass through the material the rocket is made from. A small test, and fun experiment for us to do. We "inherited" the equipment, so we're not buying anything extra (except dry ice and alcohol) to do this.

Related to Need feedback for an experiment involving Geiger tubes

1. What is the purpose of using Geiger tubes in your experiment?

The purpose of using Geiger tubes in our experiment is to measure and detect ionizing radiation, such as alpha and beta particles, as well as gamma rays.

2. How do Geiger tubes work?

Geiger tubes work by using a high voltage to create an electric field within the tube. When ionizing radiation enters the tube, it ionizes the gas inside, causing a current to flow which can be measured.

3. Can you provide more information on the setup of your experiment using Geiger tubes?

Sure, our experiment involves placing the Geiger tubes near a radioactive source and recording the number of counts per unit time. We will also be varying the distance between the tubes and the source to observe the effect on the counts.

4. How accurate and reliable are Geiger tubes in detecting radiation?

Geiger tubes are very accurate and reliable in detecting radiation. They have a high sensitivity to ionizing radiation and can detect very low levels of radiation. However, their accuracy can be affected by factors such as temperature and humidity, so proper calibration is important.

5. Are there any safety precautions that need to be taken when working with Geiger tubes?

Yes, safety precautions should always be taken when working with Geiger tubes and radiation. This includes wearing proper protective gear, handling the tubes properly, and following all safety protocols. It is also important to properly dispose of any radioactive materials used in the experiment.