Need Career Help? | Advice for High School Students

• Thread starter levisisme
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Career
In summary, a degree is the piece of paper at the end of your coursework that says you've completed all the work you were supposed to. Credits are unit hours for work completed over a semester, and at the end of the semester you get those credits for completing the work. Credits and degrees: Liberal arts degrees at my school are 120 credits. The liberal arts core (general education requirements) is about 40 credits, and most majors only require 30 degrees of major specific classes, so their are 120-40-30 = 50 credits left of coursework that a student needs to take to get the degree. Those credits are called free electives.Undergraduate - undergraduate, any degree program that leads to a bachelors degree
levisisme
salutations, i am a student in the first semester of grade ten, i plan to take physics, chemistry, and electronics, and of course general science. I was wondering if someone could explain to me how the whole degree, credits, undergrad and college and university things work. I would like to become a scientist or an electronics technician. Maybe you guys can help me. Thanks Levi

Physics news on Phys.org
levisisme said:
I was wondering if someone could explain to me how the whole degree, credits, undergrad and college and university things work.
You don't have anyone at your school (like a college advisor?) who could sort this out for you? wiki offers pretty thorough discussions on all of these, but basically:

degree - the piece of paper at the end of your coursework that says you've completed all the work you were supposed to (the same as a high school degree)

credits - unit hours for work completed over a semester. Basically, every course you take has a certain number of credits assigned to it, and at the end of the semester you get those credits for completing the work.

Credits and degrees:
Liberal arts degrees at my school are 120 credits. The liberal arts core (general education requirements) is about 40 credits, and most majors only require 30 degrees of major specific classes, so their are 120-40-30 = 50 credits left of coursework that a student needs to take to get the degree. Those credits are called free electives.

undergrad - undergraduate, any degree program that leads to a bachelors degree.

college - any school that only offers bachelors degrees

university - a school that offers undergraduate and graduate degrees, often a collection of colleges and professional schools

I would like to become a scientist or an electronics technician.
Those have very different career paths. To be a technician, you're looking at associates degree programs at technical schools like devry. To be a scientist, the standard route is a bachelors, masters and phd (often the masters and phd is combined into one program.)

Thank you, this has been very helpful, and has also cleared things up for me. In the field of electronics, it is best to have multiple degrees i have been told, so i plan to get plenty withing my interest range. That will open up a lot of doors hopefully.

Related to Need Career Help? | Advice for High School Students

What should I major in to prepare for a successful career?

Choosing a major can be a daunting task, but it's important to choose something that you are passionate about and that aligns with your skills and interests. Research different majors and their potential career paths, and consider talking to a career counselor for personalized advice.

How can I gain relevant work experience while still in high school?

There are many ways to gain work experience while in high school. You can look for internships or part-time jobs in your desired field, volunteer at local organizations, or participate in extracurricular activities that allow you to develop skills that will be valuable in your future career.

What are some important skills to have for a successful career?

Some important skills to have for a successful career include strong communication skills, problem-solving abilities, time management, adaptability, and a willingness to learn and grow. These skills can be developed through various experiences and can greatly benefit you in any career path.

What are some resources for finding job opportunities?

There are many resources available for finding job opportunities, such as online job search engines, company websites, networking events, job fairs, and professional organizations. Additionally, reaching out to your personal network and utilizing social media can also be helpful in finding job opportunities.

Is it important to have a career plan or goal in mind during high school?

Having a career plan or goal in mind can be beneficial, as it allows you to focus your efforts towards achieving that goal. However, it's also important to keep an open mind and be willing to explore different options. Your interests and goals may change over time, and it's important to be adaptable and open to new opportunities.