Need Big Bang Theory Evidence for a school debate.

In summary, the big bang theory is supported by evidence that includes the cosmic microwave background, the nucleosynthesis of light elements, and the Hubble expansion. If the debate hasnt already happened, then an important point is that the CMB is a black body spectrum, only predicted by the big bang model.
SchoolDebate
Need this for a school project ASAP.
I am looking for information that prooves parts of the the big bang theory were real. If possible I will need sources for this. I am giving a debate on wheather or not it is real. I am the pro side. Help much appreciated, thanks.

Space news on Phys.org
If we knew the level of understanding of your audience or debatants (Is there such a word) we might be able to give some more focused help.

There are three major pieces of evidence in favor of the big bang: 1) the presence of the cosmic microwave background 2) the nucleosynthesis of the light elements and 3) the Hubble expansion.

Why is this being debated in the first place? I'd hate to be the people on the other side of the table!

Nabeshin said:
Why is this being debated in the first place? I'd hate to be the people on the other side of the table!

Haha, seconded. I suppose the most you could do is point out that one can't disprove "last thursdayism", which would appear to be the only other option with any sanity to it (if you can call it that...)

Last edited:
I really hate the idea of debates in school. You tell students to debate things far beyond their comprehension and the ones who "win" are the ones who just happen to have memorized the correct rebuttals when the time comes to debate.

If the debate hasnt already happened then I think an important point is that the CMB is a black body spectrum. Only the big bang predicts this as far as I am aware. But be careful by what you mean by the big bang. Read this essay for more:
http://www.einstein-online.info/spotlights/big_bangs

The edge of the observable universe is certainly an indication that there was a beginning. Also models that utilize the big bang have been able to accurately predict many different ways that stars, galaxies, solar systems, and elements heavier than iron form. It's almost like evolution. How exactly it started no one is sure, but it fits in every single situation where it is applied.

For your debate, all of the work is in front of your opponent. There is a massive amount of evidence for the Big Bang, so for him to win, he would need to not only point out where the Big Bang fails as a model, but present his own model that fits where the Big Bang does not. Pointing out that something does not work perfectly is not sufficient to say something didn't happen, you also have to present a better argument for what actually did happen. The only place where anyone could lose that debate is in the Bible Belt.

bapowell said:
There are three major pieces of evidence in favor of the big bang: 1) the presence of the cosmic microwave background 2) the nucleosynthesis of the light elements and 3) the Hubble expansion.

You forgot General Relativity!

The OP never came back so I think it's safe to assume that he/she doesn't need us any more.

Related to Need Big Bang Theory Evidence for a school debate.

1. What is the Big Bang Theory?

The Big Bang Theory is a scientific explanation for the origin and evolution of the universe. It states that around 13.8 billion years ago, all matter and energy in the universe was condensed into a single point, and then rapidly expanded in a massive explosion.

2. What evidence supports the Big Bang Theory?

There are several lines of evidence that support the Big Bang Theory, including the cosmic microwave background radiation, the abundance of light elements in the universe, and the redshift of galaxies. These observations provide strong evidence for the expansion and evolution of the universe.

3. How does the cosmic microwave background radiation support the Big Bang Theory?

The cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation is a faint glow of light that permeates the entire universe. It is believed to be leftover radiation from the Big Bang, and its temperature and pattern closely match what is predicted by the theory. This provides strong evidence for the rapid expansion of the universe.

4. What is the significance of the abundance of light elements in the universe?

The Big Bang Theory predicts that during the first few minutes after the explosion, the universe was hot enough to produce light elements such as hydrogen, helium, and lithium. Observations of the universe's chemical composition support this prediction, providing further evidence for the Big Bang.

5. How does the redshift of galaxies support the Big Bang Theory?

The redshift of galaxies is a phenomenon where the light from distant galaxies is shifted towards the red end of the spectrum. This is caused by the expansion of the universe, which stretches the wavelength of light as it travels through space. The degree of redshift observed in galaxies aligns with the predictions of the Big Bang Theory, providing strong evidence for the expansion of the universe.