Need advice to get order in my study

In summary, the speaker will be starting a B.Sc. in Physics at a German university in 2 weeks, and will be beginning in the second semester. They have prepared by reviewing chapters of "University Physics" and are now reading "Calculus" by Spivak to build a good math foundation. They are also considering watching Walter Lewin lectures on E&M to prepare for the course. The speaker is unsure if this is the best approach and is open to suggestions. They have a strong high school math background and have covered differentiation and integration. They are considering reading a "Maths for physicists" or "Calculus for physicists" book in addition to standard math/calculus books, but are unsure if it is necessary. They are
KingLing
Hello everyone,

I'll try to explain my situation as quickly as possible:
I will be starting a B.Sc. in Physics at a German university in 2 weeks.

I will be beginning in the second semester, so this semester I'll begin with "Electromagnetism" (Physics II), and next semester I'll be learning "Classical Mechanics & Thermodynamics" (Physics I) and "Optics, Analytical Mechanics, Quantum Mechanics" (Physics III) at the same time, to catch up. I will also learn Maths II (Linear Algebra, I guess) before Maths I (Calculus, I guess).

Knowing this, I tried to prepare myself a bit, and I reviewed Chapters 1-20 of "University Physics", certainly a bit too quickly, but the idea was to get an idea of what is in Physics I and at least grasp the main ideas.

Additionally, I have now begun to read "Calculus" by Spivak, which I intend to read thoroughly, to build good maths foundations.

Now I'm thinking of also preparing for the E&M Course, by watching some Walter Lewin lectures on this topic. The idea is not to learn it very deeply already (which the course will be for), but to already get an idea of what's coming, so that the lectures won't be completely new. During the semester, I plan to also review the topic seen in the lectures in "University Physics", to get another point of view of the same topic, to learn it in English, and also simply to refresh and summarize the topics.

Well, that's pretty much my plan for the moment, but I'm not so sure these are all good ideas as the situation is a bit special (starting in the second semester). For the maths, I have a solid High school foundation, as I had 8 hours of maths/week, but this doesn't go well beyond derivation, integration, complex numbers etc of course.Maybe you have some idea how to improve my studying? Or just some advice you feel could help me? Would all be welcome.

Feel free to ask if my English wasn't clear somewhere.

Best wishes,

Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you reading Spivak? Do you know calculus already?

I looked at Spivak because I saw it recommended, and as it looked nice I decided to pick it.

What do you mean exactly by "knowing" calculus? As I wrote, I've only had high school math until now, even if it was a bit more than average people have (8 hours/week).

Would you recommend another book? What I've also been asking myself is: should a physics student read "special" calculus books (and in general, "special" math books)?

KingLing said:
What do you mean exactly by "knowing" calculus? As I wrote, I've only had high school math until now, even if it was a bit more than average people have (8 hours/week).

Have you already taken a course that covers differentiation and integration.

Would you recommend another book? What I've also been asking myself is: should a physics student read "special" calculus books (and in general, "special" math books)?

No, it's not necessary. But definitely do it if you're interested in going deeper in math

Yes, we covered differentiation and integration in high school.

What I meant was if it is recommended to take up some "Maths for physicists" or "Calculus for physicists" book rather than standard Math/Calculus books?

Btw, thanks for your answers Micromass!

KingLing said:
Yes, we covered differentiation and integration in high school.

What I meant was if it is recommended to take up some "Maths for physicists" or "Calculus for physicists" book rather than standard Math/Calculus books?

Btw, thanks for your answers Micromass!

It's up to you really. Spivak is a very beautiful book, but also very difficult and challenging. It is certainly not directly necessary for physicists. So if you're thinking of doing a "math for physicists" book, then you could very well do that. If you're interested in the mathematics behind the physics, or if you're going to study mathematical physics, then you could think about doing Spivak. But again, it's not an easy book.

So it's up to you really. But definitely expect to spend quite some time on Spivak if you choose to do it.

Last edited:

Related to Need advice to get order in my study

What are some tips for organizing my study space?

1. Start by decluttering and getting rid of any unnecessary items in your study area. This will help create a clean and distraction-free environment.

2. Use shelves, bins, and other storage solutions to keep your books, notes, and supplies neatly organized.

3. Create a designated area for each subject or project you are working on. This will help you stay focused and avoid mixing up materials.

4. Keep a calendar or planner to schedule study sessions and keep track of important deadlines.

5. Take regular breaks and use that time to tidy up your study space. This will help you maintain order and prevent clutter from building up.

How can I manage my time effectively while studying?

1. Create a study schedule and stick to it. This will help you prioritize your tasks and stay on track.

2. Break down larger tasks or projects into smaller, more manageable chunks. This will prevent you from feeling overwhelmed and make it easier to stay focused.

3. Eliminate distractions, such as social media or TV, while studying.

4. Take breaks and use that time to relax and recharge. This will help you stay motivated and avoid burnout.

5. Identify your most productive times of the day and schedule your most challenging tasks during those times.

How can I stay motivated and avoid procrastination?

1. Set specific and achievable goals for each study session. This will give you a sense of accomplishment and motivate you to keep going.

2. Find a study buddy or join a study group to hold yourself accountable and stay motivated.

3. Reward yourself after completing a task or reaching a goal. This will help you stay motivated and make studying more enjoyable.

4. Break down larger tasks into smaller, more manageable chunks to avoid feeling overwhelmed.

5. Identify and eliminate any distractions that may be causing you to procrastinate.

How can I improve my study habits and techniques?

1. Find a study method that works best for you, whether it's taking notes, creating flashcards, or making mind maps.

2. Use active studying techniques, such as summarizing, self-quizzing, and teaching the material to someone else.

3. Take breaks and use that time to exercise, meditate, or do something else that helps you relax and recharge.

4. Review your notes or material regularly to reinforce your learning and improve retention.

5. Seek help from a tutor or teacher if you are struggling with a particular subject or topic.

What can I do to improve my focus and concentration while studying?

1. Find a quiet and comfortable study space, free from distractions.

2. Use noise-cancelling headphones or soft background music to block out any distracting noises.

3. Take regular breaks and use that time to stretch, walk around, or do something else that helps you stay alert and focused.

4. Stay hydrated and have healthy snacks on hand to keep your energy levels up.

5. Practice mindfulness techniques, such as deep breathing or meditation, to help improve focus and concentration.