Need Advice on self-learning particle physics

In summary: A book that covers the basics well is the one by Michael Nielsen.In summary, you need to study classical mechanics, special relativity, quantum mechanics, complex analysis, functional analysis, and Lie-Groups and their representations in order to become a successful physicist.
ngkamsengpeter
I plan to study particle physics especially about the quantum field theory but i don't know how to start with.

I have studied mechanics,modern physics,electromagnetism using Serway Physics for Sciencetist and Engineers.I have also studied Waves and Vibrations using H.J Paind Book and also French book.I have studied Thermodynamics using Zemansky book.

I have study calculus using Thomas Calculus and Stewart Calculus ,Complex analysis, linear algebra , vector calculus and Ordinary Differential Equations using Advance Engineering Mathematics by Kreyszig.

So what is the next thing should i study? Please suggest some good books for me.
Besides,do my current knowledge enough for studying theoretical classical mechanics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try "Particles and Nuclei: An Introduction to the Physical Concepts" by Povh et al. I am sure you can find it somewhere on the internet.

What math book should i read before learning quantum field theory?

Whoa, whoa, whoa!

Serway is a freshman level physics book. QFT is normally taught to second-year graduate students. You are not going to make up four years of full-time education by reading one book.

I am not meaning to read only one book. But i don't know what maths books should i read before reading the book about quantum fields theory.Someone can suggest a series of book that i should read in sequence in order to learn QFT

Okay, so I'll give it a try:

At first you should be familiar with the methods used in classical mechanics ( Symmetries <-> conserved quantities, Lagrangian Mechanics and Hamiltonian mechanics mostly). On books: Goldstein , Budo or Landau Lifgarbagez are good books on that topic.
You should know the basics of special relativity.
You should be familiar with classical field theory, here electrodynamics is the classic prototype. Jackson is a very comprehensive book on that topic, but there probably better books.
Quantum Mechanics is extremely important in order to study QFT, good books are shankar, messiah, cohen-tannoudji , sakurai and landau-lifgarbagez. Shankar is a nice introduction. Messiah and Cohen Tannoudji are good references. Sakurai and Landau Lifgarbagez are good in order to delve deeper into the topic.
Picking up a basic knowledge about particle and nuclear physics is a good idea in order to get an intuition about the topic. Books on that would be the one by Brian R. Martin or Perkins.
That's the physics side.

You need quite a bit of math to really successful study QFT. I would assume a basic knowledge in linear algebra and real analysis (on the usual level one learns during a bachelor's degree).
A book which I really recommend is Analysis by Lieb and Loss, it's not important in order to learn QFT, it's an Analysis book written by mathematical physicists, there are lot of points covered which physicists usually sweep under the rug. There are a few chapters on distributions, which are used quite often in QFT, so it's a good idea to get some knowledge about the math that lies behind it.
Some knowledge on Complex Analysis is very important.
There is a nice free ebook on complex analysis by george cain from georgia tech.
A bit of knowledge about functional analysis in the context of physics could be handy but isn't mandatory.
The book by Reed and Simon is a good introduction to that for physicists.

Now we come to the most important part, QFT:
As an introduction I would suggest the book by Mark Srednicki (it's available online on his homepage).
Other good introductory books include Peskin-Schroeder, Ryder, Zee.
As a reference I would recommend the book series by Stephen Weinberg.
In parallel to studying QFT it's a good idea to pick up something about Lie-Groups and their representations. (They are the most important ingredient in order to construct a QFT)

Likes 1 person

Related to Need Advice on self-learning particle physics

1. What is particle physics?

Particle physics is a branch of physics that studies the fundamental particles and interactions that make up the universe. It is concerned with understanding the smallest building blocks of matter and the forces that govern their behavior.

2. Why is self-learning particle physics important?

Self-learning particle physics allows individuals to gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental workings of our universe. It also allows for the development of critical thinking skills and the ability to analyze complex data and theories.

3. What are some resources for self-learning particle physics?

There are many resources available for self-learning particle physics, including textbooks, online courses, and lecture notes from universities. Some popular resources include "Introduction to Elementary Particles" by David Griffiths and the "Particle Physics for Non-Physicists" course on Coursera.

4. How much math is involved in learning particle physics?

Particle physics involves a significant amount of mathematical calculations and equations. A strong understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations is necessary for comprehending the concepts and theories in particle physics.

5. Can anyone learn particle physics on their own?

While a formal education in physics can be beneficial, it is possible for anyone to learn particle physics on their own. It requires dedication, a strong mathematical background, and the willingness to put in the time and effort to understand complex concepts. However, seeking guidance from experienced physicists and participating in online communities can greatly aid in the self-learning process.