Need Advice for Academic Resume

In summary, the speaker is seeking a volunteer position at Oregon State University and has been asked to bring a resume. They are unsure of the format for this type of resume and ask for advice on what information to include. They also share their own suggestions for formatting, such as aligning text to the left and using bigger fonts for section titles. They also mention that they may explore using LaTeX to create a more professional looking resume.
Guango39
Hello everyone!

I am applying for a volunteer position at Oregon State University as an undergraduate assistant in Microbiology research. The head of the research department asked me to bring a resume if I have one handy, which I do, but not for this type of situation.

I am wondering if there is a certain format for this type of resume that I should follow, or pieces of information that are key to include (besides the obvious that would be on a high school student's resume already).

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd align the text to the left, use bigger font for section titles, use some bullets for items, leave out the typing speed, and family friend reference. Group the contact info like

Al D.

objective/
interests

education blabla

work experience bla bla

computer skills

references

I'd also consider learning to use latex to write resumes, you can find much more professional looking templates on the interwebs.

Related to Need Advice for Academic Resume

1. How do I format my academic resume?

To format your academic resume, start with your contact information at the top. Then, include a summary or objective statement, followed by your education and relevant coursework. Next, list any relevant work or research experiences, along with any publications or presentations. Finally, include any awards, honors, or extracurricular activities. Be sure to use a clean and professional layout and to proofread for any errors.

2. What information should I include in my academic resume?

In addition to your contact information, education, work/research experiences, publications, and awards, you should also include any relevant skills, certifications, languages, and references. It may also be helpful to tailor your resume to the specific position or program you are applying for by highlighting relevant coursework, skills, or experiences.

3. How do I make my academic resume stand out?

To make your academic resume stand out, be sure to highlight any unique or impressive experiences or accomplishments. This could include projects, research, publications, or awards that demonstrate your skills and dedication. Additionally, make sure to proofread for any errors and use a professional and visually appealing layout.

4. Should I include my GPA on my academic resume?

This depends on your individual circumstances. If you have a strong GPA (3.5 or higher) and it is relevant to the position or program you are applying for, then it may be beneficial to include it. However, if your GPA is lower or not relevant, it may be best to leave it off and focus on other strengths.

5. How long should my academic resume be?

Generally, an academic resume should be no longer than two pages. However, if you have extensive research or work experiences, it may be appropriate to have a slightly longer resume. Be sure to prioritize the most relevant and impressive information and use concise language to keep your resume streamlined and easy to read.