Need a unique type of pressure vessel

In summary, Dan needs a container for an experiment that can hold at least 32 fluid ounces and withstand 100psi internal pressure without deforming. He has tried using a pressure cooker and a nalgene bottle, but they did not meet his requirements. He is considering rigging up a pressurized gas tank or using a piece of steel pipe with adapters and caps. He finds an online resource for the pipe and is grateful for the suggestion.
BasketDaN
I have a very odd need for an experiment I'm doing. I require a container of at least 32 fluid ounce volume that is very rigid and strong; it needs to be able to resist preferably at least 100psi internal pressure (water will be inside) without deforming. The opening needs to be at least 2" in diameter.

I've tried a pressure cooker; but the seal on those do not prevent liquid from seeping out. I'm afriad a nalgene bottle won't be strong enough (but that geometry is ideal).

I really can't think of anything that exists that meets these needs; I'm afraid I might have to rig one up myself using an old pressurized gas tank... unless you have any ideas!

Thanks
Dan

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'd suggest just getting a short piece of steel pipe, threaded both ends (pipe thread) and then attach adapters and/or caps to the ends.

Take a look in http://www.mcmaster.com/#"for pipe. Or just go to your local hardware store and see what you can find. You should be able to make what you need for less than 50 bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the website! I can't believe I haven't seen that before. I have tried the method you suggest, but it didn't work since I couldn't find wide enough pipe at Home Depot. McMaster Carr does have acceptable pipe sizes though.

Related to Need a unique type of pressure vessel

1. What makes a pressure vessel unique?

A pressure vessel can be considered unique based on its size, shape, material, or specific function. It is designed to contain and withstand different levels of pressure and may have specialized features to meet specific requirements.

2. What are the different types of pressure vessels?

There are several types of pressure vessels, including storage vessels, process vessels, heat exchangers, and reactors. Each type serves a different purpose and has unique design features to meet specific needs.

3. How are pressure vessels designed and manufactured?

Pressure vessels are designed and manufactured according to specific codes and standards, such as ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code. The design process involves considering factors such as the type of fluid or gas being contained, operating pressure, and material selection.

4. What materials are commonly used in pressure vessel construction?

Materials commonly used in pressure vessel construction include carbon steel, stainless steel, and various alloys. The choice of material is based on factors such as the contents of the vessel, operating conditions, and required strength and corrosion resistance.

5. What safety measures should be taken when using pressure vessels?

Safety measures for pressure vessels include regular inspections, proper maintenance, and following all guidelines and procedures for operation. It is also essential to have emergency plans in place in case of a pressure vessel failure or accident.