Need a more powerful calculator (beyond ti-89T, hp50g)

• Calculators
  • Thread starter Bense
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculator
In summary, an engineering student is looking for a small device to use for calculations without internet distractions. They have considered an embedded intel atom device running linux, but are also interested in the program spacetime which can run on an iPhone, iPod-touch, or iPad. They are also open to suggestions from others.
Bense
Hi, I am an engineering student that loves writing programs for my ti calculators.

I am currently using a texas instruments voyage 200, I love the screen and the qwerty keyboard. But I KEEP running into limitations with these things. I am approaching the point where calculations are migrating from handheld calculators to computers running MATLAB or maple.

However, I do not want a fully functional laptop or netbook. I want something relatively small that I can punch numbers in quickly without having too many internet distractions. I have been thinking about some embedded intel atom device running linux + maple + matlab. But I realize that these things are pretty new.

I was thinking about something the size of this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834251004

Is there anybody out there that has any suggestions??

Computer science news on Phys.org
You could consider the program spacetime running on an iPhone, iPod-touch or ipad.

Spacetime offers a one month free demo that runs on windows or mac/os. You can try it and see if it meets your needs.

I use it and prefer it to my hp49g, but the symbolics is not quite as good as you'll get on a typical computer.

Related to Need a more powerful calculator (beyond ti-89T, hp50g)

1. What features should I look for in a more powerful calculator?

When searching for a more powerful calculator, some important features to consider are processing speed, memory capacity, graphing capabilities, and programming capabilities. Also, make sure to check if the calculator can handle complex calculations and equations, as well as support for different numerical systems.

2. How much does a more powerful calculator cost?

The cost of a more powerful calculator can vary depending on the brand, features, and model. Generally, these calculators can range from $100 to $500. However, some high-end models can cost over $1000. It is important to research and compare prices to find the best option for your budget and needs.

3. Can I use a more powerful calculator for standardized tests like the SAT or ACT?

Most standardized tests have strict guidelines on which calculators are allowed to be used during the exam. It is important to check with the testing organization for a list of approved calculators. Some more powerful calculators may not be allowed due to their advanced features.

4. Are there any alternatives to buying a more powerful calculator?

If you are on a budget or do not want to invest in a more powerful calculator, there are some alternatives you can consider. One option is using online graphing calculators, which are usually free to use. Another option is downloading calculator apps on a smartphone or tablet, which can also be cost-effective.

5. How do I learn to use a more powerful calculator?

Most more powerful calculators come with user manuals and online tutorials to help you learn how to use them. You can also find instructional videos and guides online, or consider taking classes or workshops on using advanced calculators. Practice and experimentation are key to mastering the use of a more powerful calculator.