Need a Good Textbook on Probability.

In summary, the conversation is about finding a good textbook on probability. The person is looking for a book that is both rigorous and starts from the basics. They have struggled to find one as most books are either too advanced or too simple. Suggestions for books include "Applied Probability Models with Optimization Applications" by Sheldon M. Ross, a free beginner's book available online, and "A First Course in Probability" by Ross. The book "Feller: Introduction to Probability Theory and its Applications" is also mentioned, but it is difficult and may require a strong math background. It is noted that this book does not use measure theory until Volume 2.
non-logical
Need a Good Textbook on Probability. Please Help!

Hello!
I would be very grateful if someone could help me.
I am at pains trying to find a book on probability which would be both rigorous and would begin from the very basics. It appears that mathematically acceptable books do not apply because they are written for "advanced students in probability", and this is not my case. The simple books do not apply because they confuse a sample and its member, and all of the sort.
What did you personally read? What did help you?

Physics news on Phys.org

At what level? Using calculus? Measure theory? As a first exposure to measure theory? With a lot of combinatorics? With probability models?

Here is one cheap book that makes for fine leisure reading

Applied Probability Models with Optimization Applications (Dover Books on Mathematics) by Sheldon M. Ross

A free book for beginners that is well written can be found here:

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~chance/teaching_aids/books_articles/probability_book/book.html

Perhaps it will fit the bill. That and other free books can be found at:

http://www.e-booksdirectory.com/listing.php?category=412

I also like "a first course in probability" by ross. I learned from the third edition, which is fine, so used copies of old editions are the inexpensive way to go.

best of luck,

jason

The standard intro probability tome:
Feller: Introduction to probability theory and its applications.

It is "basic" in the sense that it starts from the beginning. But it is quite difficult I hear. So, if you are great at math, have some sophistication and want to finally tackle probability, this would be a good one (if you are committed). Unfortunately, I myself have never been committed :(

Also, I dont' think it uses any measure theory until Vol. 2. So Vol. 1 does not have high prerequisites per se.

Hello! I understand your frustration in finding a good textbook on probability. I have also struggled with finding the right resources for my studies. I would recommend checking out "Introduction to Probability" by Joseph K. Blitzstein and Jessica Hwang. This textbook covers the basics of probability theory and is suitable for beginners. Another great resource is "A First Course in Probability" by Sheldon Ross. Both of these textbooks are highly regarded and have been used in many introductory probability courses. I hope this helps and good luck with your studies!

Related to Need a Good Textbook on Probability.

1. What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 represents impossibility and 1 represents certainty.

2. Why is it important to learn about probability?

Probability is used to make predictions and decisions in various fields such as mathematics, science, economics, and social sciences. It helps us understand and analyze uncertain events and make informed choices based on data and evidence.

3. What topics are typically covered in a textbook on probability?

A textbook on probability usually covers topics such as basic concepts and rules of probability, conditional probability, random variables, probability distributions, and statistical inference.

4. How can I choose a good textbook on probability?

When choosing a textbook on probability, consider the level of the book (introductory, intermediate, advanced), the author's expertise, the book's organization and presentation of material, and reviews from other readers or experts in the field.

5. Are there any online resources or supplemental materials that can help me learn probability?

Yes, there are many online resources such as lecture notes, practice problems, and interactive simulations that can supplement your learning from a textbook on probability. You can also join online communities or forums to discuss and clarify concepts with other learners and experts.