Need a good course or textbook to learn intermediate ODE's

In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling to learn differential equations from a book and looking for alternative resources. They receive suggestions for Schaum's outline of DE and two other textbooks, "Ordinary Differential Equations" and "Differential Equations: A Dynamical Systems Approach."
richyw
sorry if this is not the correct place to be asking this question. I looked around for a more appropriate forum.

Anyways I am trying to learn differential equations from "Hirsch, Differential equations, dynamical systems and and Introduction to chaos" and I'm absolutely fed up with this book. Completely fed up. It would be ok if there were solutions to the problems, but there are not (that I know of) and therefore I am basically without any really good resources to learn this stuff. Does anyone know of a good textbook that covers the same material, or know of an online resource? I will fail this class if I do not find an actual useful book soon. Office hours are not enough!

thanks!

sucks that a potentially useful book can be ruined by the reluctance to show worked examples in a solution manual...

Physics news on Phys.org
Try Schaum's outline of DE,it have a lot of solved Problems.

hey thanks for the input snow-leopard!

I'll go downtown and check it out! Does it cover more advanced topics in ODE's though? This course is the second out of 4 or 5 DE courses I must take. Most of the resources I have found are basically for a first course in differential equations.

I got the schuams manual for calculus and it covered most of my first three courses though so I hope it's the same for ODE's!

I can understand your frustration with not having access to solutions for the problems in your textbook. It can be difficult to learn a subject without being able to check your work and see where you may have gone wrong. I would recommend reaching out to your instructor or TA for help with the problems, as well as seeking out additional resources such as online tutorials or study groups. As for a different textbook, I would suggest looking into "Elementary Differential Equations" by William E. Boyce and Richard C. DiPrima or "Differential Equations and Dynamical Systems" by Lawrence Perko. It's important to find a textbook that fits your learning style and provides the necessary resources for success in your course. Best of luck in your studies!

Related to Need a good course or textbook to learn intermediate ODE's

1. What are ordinary differential equations (ODE's) and why are they important to learn?

Ordinary differential equations are mathematical equations that involve the derivatives of an unknown function with respect to one independent variable. They are important in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and biology, as they can be used to model and understand real-world phenomena and make predictions.

2. What is considered an intermediate level in ODE's?

An intermediate level in ODE's typically covers topics such as higher order differential equations, series solutions, Laplace transforms, and systems of differential equations. It assumes a basic understanding of calculus and differential equations at the beginner level.

3. What are some good resources for learning intermediate ODE's?

Some good resources for learning intermediate ODE's include textbooks such as "Elementary Differential Equations" by Boyce and DiPrima, "Differential Equations with Boundary-Value Problems" by Zill and Cullen, and "Ordinary Differential Equations" by Tenenbaum and Pollard. Online resources like Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare also offer free ODE courses.

4. How can I effectively study and practice intermediate ODE's?

To effectively study and practice intermediate ODE's, it is important to have a solid understanding of the fundamentals and to practice solving various types of problems. It can also be helpful to work through examples and exercises in a textbook or online course, and to seek help from a tutor or study group if needed.

5. What are some applications of ODE's in real life?

ODE's have many applications in real life, such as in modeling population growth, predicting weather patterns, designing electrical circuits, and understanding chemical reactions. They are also used in the fields of economics, biology, and medicine, among others, to study and make predictions about various systems and processes.