Need a couple of ODE's used in aerospace engineering

In summary, the conversation is about an assignment to solve a coupled system of equations with differential interdependencies in the context of Aerospace Engineering or another applied topic. The person is having trouble finding a set of equations fitting this description and asks for suggestions or hints. A Google search yields helpful results and textbooks are recommended as additional resources.
julio432bz

Homework Statement

I have an assignment where I must solve a coupled system of equations, with di fferential interdependencies (e.g. a system of ODEs) of dimension no less than three (e.g. in x; y and z). choose a system relevance to Aerospace Engineering, or some applied topic. You
must use your solution to predict or evaluate something useful.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I will probably have little trouble with solving the equations, but the problem is I am not able to find a set of equations fitting this description. I have tried for a couple of days now. Any suggestions or hints would be greatly appreciated! : )

Physics news on Phys.org
julio432bz said:

Homework Statement

I have an assignment where I must solve a coupled system of equations, with di fferential interdependencies (e.g. a system of ODEs) of dimension no less than three (e.g. in x; y and z). choose a system relevance to Aerospace Engineering, or some applied topic. You
must use your solution to predict or evaluate something useful.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I will probably have little trouble with solving the equations, but the problem is I am not able to find a set of equations fitting this description. I have tried for a couple of days now. Any suggestions or hints would be greatly appreciated! : )

I did a google search on System of ODEs in Aerospace, and got lots of good hits. Here's one for a university course:

http://cuengineeringonline.colorado.edu/coursedb/view-course/49

The textbooks listed at the bottom of that page would likely be of help to you. You can check out your university library to look for them and similar materials.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Need a couple of ODE's used in aerospace engineering

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. In aerospace engineering, ODEs are commonly used to model the motion of objects in space or the behavior of fluids in aerodynamics.

2. How are ODEs used in aerospace engineering?

ODEs are used in aerospace engineering to model and analyze the behavior of systems such as aircraft, spacecraft, and rockets. They are used to calculate variables such as position, velocity, and acceleration over time, which are crucial in designing and controlling these systems.

3. What are some common ODEs used in aerospace engineering?

Some common ODEs used in aerospace engineering include the equations of motion, such as Newton's second law and the equations of fluid dynamics, such as the Navier-Stokes equations. Other examples include the equations for orbital motion, such as Kepler's laws, and the equations for aerodynamic forces, such as the lift and drag equations.

4. How do ODEs contribute to the advancement of aerospace technology?

ODEs play a crucial role in the advancement of aerospace technology by allowing engineers to model and predict the behavior of aircraft, spacecraft, and other systems. This helps in the design and optimization of these systems, leading to more efficient and effective technology.

5. Can ODEs be solved analytically or numerically?

ODEs can be solved both analytically and numerically. Analytical solutions involve finding a closed-form solution using mathematical techniques, while numerical solutions involve using algorithms to approximate the solution. In aerospace engineering, numerical solutions are often preferred due to the complexity of the systems being modeled.