Need a book with good intro to Taylor Couette flow

In summary, Taylor Couette flow is a type of flow that occurs between two concentric cylinders, where the inner cylinder is rotating and the outer cylinder is stationary. It has various applications in industries such as chemical engineering, aerospace engineering, and geophysics, and is used to study fluid dynamics, turbulence, and heat transfer. Its key characteristics include the formation of vortices, development of boundary layers, and presence of shear stress. It differs from other types of fluid flow in its ability to transition between different flow regimes and exhibit complex behavior. Resources for learning about Taylor Couette flow include textbooks, scientific papers, and online tutorials.
fahraynk
Hi I just finished a good intro to aerodynamics but I want to understand taylor couette flow. My book stopped at 2d couette flow between 2 plates.

I need a good book that someone with only an intro to Aero can understand! Any recommendations?

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Need a book with good intro to Taylor Couette flow

What is Taylor Couette flow?

Taylor Couette flow is a type of flow that occurs between two concentric cylinders, where the inner cylinder is rotating and the outer cylinder is stationary. This type of flow is often used in fluid dynamics experiments and is named after the scientists who first studied it, Geoffrey Ingram Taylor and Maurice Marie Alfred Couette.

What are some real-world applications of Taylor Couette flow?

Taylor Couette flow has various applications in industries such as chemical engineering, aerospace engineering, and geophysics. It is used to study fluid dynamics, turbulence, and heat transfer, and can also be applied to the design of pumps, mixers, and other industrial devices.

What are the key characteristics of Taylor Couette flow?

The key characteristics of Taylor Couette flow include the formation of vortices, the development of boundary layers, and the presence of shear stress between the rotating and stationary cylinders. It also exhibits different flow regimes, depending on the rotational speeds and gap between the cylinders.

How is Taylor Couette flow different from other types of fluid flow?

Taylor Couette flow differs from other types of fluid flow, such as laminar and turbulent flow, in that it involves the rotation of one or both cylinders, which creates a shear flow. It also differs from other types of flow in its ability to transition between different flow regimes and exhibit complex behavior.

Where can I find a good introduction to Taylor Couette flow?

There are various resources available for learning about Taylor Couette flow, such as textbooks, scientific papers, and online tutorials. Some recommended books include "Introduction to Fluid Mechanics" by Bruce R. Munson and "Fluid Mechanics" by Frank M. White. Online resources like Khan Academy and YouTube also offer informative videos on the topic.