Nearsightedness, Refractive Power, Optics

In summary, a patient with a refractive power of 50.1 diopters is nearsighted. The far point is found using the formula 1/f = 1/d0 + 1/di, with f = 1.996 cm. The di should be positive as it is behind the lens.
yayirunin2car

Homework Statement

The relaxed eyes of a patient have a refractive power of 50.1 diopters. (For the purposes of this problem, treat the eye as a single-lens system, with the retina 2.40 cm from the lens.)
(a) Is the patient nearsighted or farsighted? (b) If the patient is nearsighted, find the far point. If this person is farsighted, find the near point.

Homework Equations

1/f = 1/d0 + 1/di

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the person is nearsighted.

I guess where I'm going wrong is by thinking that the lens is a pair of glasses 2.40 cm in front of the eye, which is all the problems I have done so far. I have been using 1/50.1 to get f and converting it to centimeters where f = 1.9960 cm.

What I use to get my answer:
F is the far point.

1/f = 1/infinity + 1/(F-2.40)

The answer I get, 4.3960 cm is wrong. Also, when I make di negative since it should be in front of the eye, I get .4039 which is also wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
d0 and di refer to the distance of the object or image (respectively to the lens)

1. Since the image is to be focused on the retina, that means di=___?
2. d0 is not infinity for an object located at the far point.
3. And as you said, f=1.996 cm.

If I take di as 2.4, should I make it negative since it is in front of the lense?

Thank you for your help!

so is 'di' positive because it is behind the lens?
Or were you just correcting him, and 'di' is negative because it is behind the lens?
thanks.

It's like a standard lens problem, with do and di on opposite sides of the lens, so both are positive. The problem is in translating from the description in the problem statement into values for do, di, and f.

Related to Nearsightedness, Refractive Power, Optics

1. What is nearsightedness?

Nearsightedness, also known as myopia, is a refractive error of the eye where objects in the distance appear blurry, while close objects can be seen clearly. This is due to the shape of the eye or the length of the eyeball, which causes light to focus in front of the retina instead of directly on it.

2. What is refractive power?

Refractive power refers to the ability of the eye to bend or refract light in order to focus it on the retina. It is measured in diopters (D) and is determined by the shape of the cornea and the length of the eyeball. Refractive power is essential for clear vision and any abnormalities can result in vision problems such as nearsightedness.

3. How is nearsightedness diagnosed?

Nearsightedness can be diagnosed through a comprehensive eye exam by an optometrist or ophthalmologist. This typically includes a visual acuity test, where the patient reads letters on a chart from a distance, and a refraction test, which measures the eye's refractive power. Other tests, such as a retinoscopy or a slit-lamp examination, may also be performed to confirm the diagnosis.

4. Can nearsightedness be corrected?

Yes, nearsightedness can be corrected through the use of glasses, contact lenses, or refractive surgery. Glasses and contact lenses work by altering the direction of light entering the eye, allowing it to focus properly on the retina. Refractive surgery, such as LASIK, reshapes the cornea to improve the eye's ability to focus light, resulting in clearer vision.

5. How can nearsightedness be prevented?

While there is no guaranteed way to prevent nearsightedness, there are some steps that may help reduce the risk. These include limiting screen time and taking breaks to rest the eyes, maintaining a healthy diet and exercise routine, and getting regular eye exams. It is also important to wear proper eyewear, such as sunglasses, to protect the eyes from harmful UV rays.