Nearest neighbours in graphene

• Thread starter barana
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphene
In summary, graphene is a two-dimensional material made up of a single layer of carbon atoms arranged in a hexagonal lattice. Nearest neighbor analysis in graphene involves identifying and analyzing the interactions between the nearest neighboring carbon atoms. This is typically done through computer simulations and mathematical models, and can have various applications in fields such as materials science, nanotechnology, and electronics. It can also be used to study defects and impurities in the graphene lattice, providing insights into their structural and electronic properties.
barana
Can help me for the write program for calculating nearest neighbours in graphene?
Program the nearest neighbours for armchair graphene nanoribbon same as the follow:
close all
clear all
clc
L = 2;
H = 4;

lineatoms = 2 * H + 1;

for i = 1:lineatoms

if mod(i,2)==1
x(1,i) = .71;
else
x(1,i) = 0;
end

y(1,i) = (i-1)*1.23;
end

index = 1;

for i = lineatoms +1 : 2*lineatoms

if mod(i,2)==0
x(1,i) = 2.13;
else
x(1,i)= 2.84;
end

y(1,i) = y(1,i -index);

index = index+2; end
for i = 2:L
for j = 1: 2*lineatoms
x(i,j) = x(1,j) + 4.26*(i-1);
y(i,j) = y(1,j);
end
end

figure;
for i = 1:L
plot (x(i,:),y(i,:), 'bo','MarkerFaceColor','b');
hold on;
end
axis equal;

z = size(x)
lastatm = z(2)
atomnums = 1: lastatm;
corneratms = [1 lastatm/2 lastatm/2+1 lastatm];
nn(1,1) = 1+1;
nn(1,2) = lastatm;
nn(lastatm,1) = 1;
nn(lastatm,2) = lastatm-1; nn(corneratms(2),1) = corneratms(2)-1;
nn(corneratms(2),2) = corneratms(2)+1;
nn(corneratms(3),1) = corneratms(3)-1;
nn(corneratms(3),2) = corneratms(3)+1;

X = x(1,:); Y = y(1,:);
batm = lastatm-3;

for i = 2:lastatm/2 -1

nn(i,1) = i-1;
nn(i,2) = i+1;
nn(i,3) = i+batm;

nnf(i,1) = i-1;
nnf(i,2) = i+1;
batm = batm -2;
end

batm = 3;
for i = lastatm/2+2:lastatm-1

nn(i,1) = i-batm;
nn(i,2) = i-1;
nn(i,3) = i+1;
batm = batm + 2;
end
a = 2.46;
e2p =0; t=-2.550; s=.2;
kx = -1*pi/a:.01:1*pi/a;
ky = -.05*pi/a:.01:.05*pi/a;

a1 = 0.71; a2 = 1.23; a3 = 1.42;

for m = 1: length(kx)
for n = 1:length(ky)

KX = kx(m);
KY = ky(n);

for i = 1:2*lineatoms
for j = 1:3

nene = nn(i,j); % three nearest neighbours

if nene ~= 0
num = (Y(nene)-Y(i))
denom = (X(nene)-X(i));

if (denom > 0 && num > 0)
H(i,nene) = exp(1i*KX*a1 + 1i*KY*a2);
S(i,nene) = s * H(i,nene);
elseif (denom < 0 && num < 0)
H(i,nene) = exp(-1i*KX*a1 - 1i*KY*a2);
elseif (denom < 0 && num > 0)
H(i,nene) = exp(-1i*KX*a1 + 1i*KY*a2);
elseif (denom > 0 && num < 0)
H(i,nene) = exp(1i*KX*a1 - 1i*KY*a2);
elseif (denom > 0 && num == 0 && denom ==1.42)
H(i,nene) = exp(1i*KX*a3);
elseif (denom > 0 && num == 0 && denom == 2*1.42)
H(i,nene) = exp(-1i*KX*a3);
elseif (denom < 0 && num == 0 && denom == -1.42)
H(i,nene) = exp(-1i*KX*a3);
elseif (denom < 0 && num == 0 && denom == -2*1.42)
H(i,nene) = exp(1i*KX*a3);
end

end
end
H(i,i) = 0;
S(i,i) = 1;
end

ee = eig(t*H,S); % Eigen value calculation
% ee = eig( H ); for k = 1:2*lineatoms
E(m,n,k) = ee(k);
end

end
end

figure;
for k = 1 :2*lineatoms
plot(kx, E(:,:,k));
hold on;
end

Technology news on Phys.org

xlabel('kx');
ylabel('Energy');
title('Energy Spectrum for Armchair Graphene Nanoribbon');
hold off;
Thank you for reaching out for assistance with calculating nearest neighbours in graphene. I have taken a look at your code and made some suggestions for improvements.

Firstly, it is important to always include comments in your code to explain what each section or line of code is doing. This will make it easier for others to understand and modify your code in the future.

Next, I noticed that you have used both "clear all" and "clc" in your code. While "clear all" clears all variables from the workspace, "clc" simply clears the command window. It is not necessary to use both, so I would suggest using "clear all" at the beginning of your code to avoid confusion.

In terms of the logic of your code, it looks like you are creating a lattice of atoms with x and y coordinates, and then using the nearest neighbour indices to calculate the energy spectrum. This is a good approach, but I would suggest breaking your code into smaller, more manageable functions. For example, you could have a function for creating the lattice, another for calculating the nearest neighbours, and another for calculating the energy spectrum. This will make your code more organized and easier to debug.

Additionally, I noticed that your code is specific to armchair graphene nanoribbons. It would be beneficial to make your code more general so that it can be easily applied to other types of graphene structures as well.

Finally, I would recommend using vectorized operations wherever possible, as this can greatly improve the efficiency and speed of your code.

I hope these suggestions are helpful in improving your code for calculating nearest neighbours in graphene. Good luck with your research!

Related to Nearest neighbours in graphene

1. What is graphene and why is it important in nearest neighbor analysis?

Graphene is a two-dimensional material made up of a single layer of carbon atoms arranged in a hexagonal lattice. It is important in nearest neighbor analysis because the properties of graphene are determined by the interactions between its nearest neighbor atoms.

2. What is the concept of nearest neighbor analysis in graphene?

Nearest neighbor analysis in graphene involves identifying and analyzing the interactions between the nearest neighboring carbon atoms in a graphene lattice. This helps to understand the properties and behavior of graphene at the atomic level.

3. How is nearest neighbor analysis in graphene performed?

Nearest neighbor analysis in graphene is typically performed using computer simulations and mathematical models. These methods involve calculating the distances and angles between nearest neighbor atoms and analyzing their electronic and vibrational properties.

4. What are the applications of nearest neighbor analysis in graphene?

Nearest neighbor analysis in graphene has various applications in fields such as materials science, nanotechnology, and electronics. It can help in designing new graphene-based materials with specific properties, understanding the mechanical and thermal behavior of graphene, and developing new graphene-based devices.

5. Can nearest neighbor analysis in graphene be used to study defects and impurities?

Yes, nearest neighbor analysis in graphene can be used to study defects and impurities in the graphene lattice. By analyzing the changes in nearest neighbor interactions caused by defects or impurities, researchers can gain insights into the structural and electronic properties of these imperfections in graphene.