NC25A Charge Controllers: Maximize Mechanical Power Storage

• Thread starter jtyler05si
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge
In summary, the conversation discusses the premise of a project to convert mechanical power into electrical power and store it in powerpacks. This involves using an electrical motor with safe maximum ratings and a charge controller to regulate the voltage to the battery. It is noted that hooking multiple charge controllers in parallel may cause issues and some controllers have the ability to divert excess voltage to another output. The conversation also mentions the need for careful consideration when connecting multiple DC-DC converters in parallel and requests for datasheets for the charge controllers.
jtyler05si
So I am a mechanical engineering student and working on a project. The premise of this project is that there is a mechanical system that outputs anywhere from 300 to 1500 Watts of mechanical power and I want to convert that into electrical power and store it into powerpacks (deep cycle batteries made by a couple companies that have a charger and inverter in its assembly).

So from the mechanical system I want to have an electrical motor with safe maximum ratings that outputs a DC signal through a diode into a charge controller (cheap kind that just uses relays) that knocks the voltage down to ~14V that goes to the battery (which has its own charging system)

The charge controller I am looking at is an NC25A and it can handle up to 130V and 25 Amps. So that means depending on the electric motor I use, I might need multiple charge controllers.

From what little knowledge I have about electric motors is that if more current is being drawn from the motor then the mechanical side will be harder to turn...

So with that if multiple charge controllers are hooked in parallel they will be pulling too much current and if there is only 300W of mechanical power available, the motor won't turn...

That's one way I see it. I don't have enough knowledge about this stuff, but I wish that I could have a variable amount of mechanical power that is translated into electrical power and it charges an appropriate amount of batteries.

I know some controllers have an ability to divert excess voltage to another output and I can send that to another controller and so on. That will allow for the appropriate chaining of charging where one charges and the excess charges another (which can be expanded to multiple charging full time and then draining onto the last).

I know this is a huge wall of text and most of it is probably just rambling, so questions are welcome if anything is unclear. I have a lot more technical stuff written down and I tried to sum it up, but possibly failed.

Engineering news on Phys.org
jtyler05si said:
The premise of this project is that there is a mechanical system that outputs anywhere from 300 to 1500 Watts of mechanical power and I want to convert that into electrical power and store it into powerpacks (deep cycle batteries made by a couple companies that have a charger and inverter in its assembly).
What is the range of the output voltage? That is the key for any power conversion system you connect after the power generator stage...
jtyler05si said:
So from the mechanical system I want to have an electrical motor with safe maximum ratings that outputs a DC signal through a diode into a charge controller (cheap kind that just uses relays) that knocks the voltage down to ~14V that goes to the battery (which has its own charging system)
Sorry, I don't undersand this part.
jtyler05si said:
So with that if multiple charge controllers are hooked in parallel they will be pulling too much current and if there is only 300W of mechanical power available, the motor won't turn...
You need to be careful hooking multiple DC-DC converters in parallel. There can be stability issues between them...
jtyler05si said:
I know some controllers have an ability to divert excess voltage to another output and I can send that to another controller and so on. That will allow for the appropriate chaining of charging where one charges and the excess charges another (which can be expanded to multiple charging full time and then draining onto the last).
Do you have some datasheets you can post about these charge controllers? Thanks.

Related to NC25A Charge Controllers: Maximize Mechanical Power Storage

1. What is an NC25A charge controller?

An NC25A charge controller is a type of electronic device that is used to regulate and control the flow of electricity from a solar panel or other renewable energy source to a battery bank. It ensures that the batteries are charged safely and efficiently, preventing overcharging and extending their lifespan.

2. How does an NC25A charge controller work?

An NC25A charge controller works by continuously monitoring the voltage and current coming from the solar panel or other energy source. When the batteries are fully charged, it automatically reduces or stops the flow of electricity to prevent overcharging. It also has built-in safety features to protect the batteries from overvoltage, overcurrent, and reverse polarity.

3. What is the maximum mechanical power storage for an NC25A charge controller?

The maximum mechanical power storage for an NC25A charge controller will vary depending on the specific model and manufacturer. However, most NC25A charge controllers have a maximum input voltage of around 25 volts and a maximum charging current of 25 amps, which equates to a maximum power storage of 625 watts.

4. How can an NC25A charge controller maximize mechanical power storage?

An NC25A charge controller can maximize mechanical power storage by efficiently converting the energy from the solar panel or other source into usable electricity for the batteries. It also helps to prevent energy loss and waste by regulating the flow of power and ensuring that the batteries are not overcharged.

5. What are the benefits of using an NC25A charge controller?

Using an NC25A charge controller offers several benefits, including protecting and extending the lifespan of your batteries, improving the efficiency of your solar or renewable energy system, and reducing the risk of electrical hazards. It also allows for remote monitoring and control of your energy system, ensuring that it is operating at its optimal performance.