Navy serviceman accused of trying to sell classified military documents

In summary: The sale of information is a kind of betrayal, and is therefore subject to final analysis with the concept of prime motivators: Money, Ideology, Coercion, Ego. The concept of prison or death is only relevant BEFORE a betrayal occurs, because after that the traitor can only: 1.) Turn himself in and stop2.) Continue and hopeAs a side note, I find it outrageous that the going-rate for US sensitive information is a paltry $3,500! If you are going to do it... at least make it worth someone's while!
I agree, and my post came across way harsher than I meant it to, I'm sorry for that. Also the events (besides fighting) I mentioned are not common, just things I've seen over the years.

EDIT: I would especially like to retract the idiotic comment I made about the military being 'beyond anything you can imagine'. That was very insulting and I'm embarrased that I even said it. Sorry man.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
_Tully said:
I agree, and my post came across way harsher than I meant it to, I'm sorry for that. Also the events (besides fighting) I mentioned are not common, just things I've seen over the years.

I'll venture a guess that anyone as involved with his "brothers" as you've described - would most likely never engage in un-patriotic activities (like the Wikileaks theft or the Fort Hood shootings) - my guess is the loner that doesn't fit in or joined for the wrong reasons is the one most likely to go bad (yes - I agree that smacks of profiling).

WhoWee said:
I'll venture a guess that anyone as involved with his "brothers" as you've described - would most likely never engage in un-patriotic activities (like the Wikileaks theft or the Fort Hood shootings) - my guess is the loner that doesn't fit in or joined for the wrong reasons is the one most likely to go bad (yes - I agree that smacks of profiling).

I agree, you are right. I went off on some pent-up (unneeded) rant in my post that didn't move the discussion forward. Out of thousands of people there will always be a few that will do things like this, unfortunatly.

This is somewhat tangential, but gang members (and, although it's not mentioned militia / white supremacist types) going into the military for the express purpose of military training is probably more moral panic than anything. I'm told there was similar panic about the (then-newly) integrated armed forces producing legions of combat-veteran Black Panthers (or the likes) during Vietnam, but a cursory search didn't turn up anything (perhaps some of the older forum members will weigh in?)

Every so often, you read about guys who were given the choice of going to jail, or joining the army (don't know if that's acceptable these days)--I'd like to think that at least some of them ended up turning their lives around, instead of just becoming more dangerous criminals. Same deal with kids who were in (or around) gangs or 'militias'.

MATLABdude said:
This is somewhat tangential, but gang members (and, although it's not mentioned militia / white supremacist types) going into the military for the express purpose of military training is probably more moral panic than anything. I'm told there was similar panic about the (then-newly) integrated armed forces producing legions of combat-veteran Black Panthers (or the likes) during Vietnam, but a cursory search didn't turn up anything (perhaps some of the older forum members will weigh in?)

Every so often, you read about guys who were given the choice of going to jail, or joining the army (don't know if that's acceptable these days)--I'd like to think that at least some of them ended up turning their lives around, instead of just becoming more dangerous criminals. Same deal with kids who were in (or around) gangs or 'militias'.

well, if you want to expand that, we also grant citizenship to foreign nationals in exchange for military service. so if you want to bring up issues of allegiance regarding sensitive info...