Navigating Purcell's Physics Course: Challenges & Solutions

In summary: It's a little more advanced, but it does a great job of explaining the concepts.In summary, the main problem that the student is having is with magnetics. They need to look for solutions to problems online or in another higher level text.
ender2309
My honors physics course is working with Purcell's textbook, but I've found some sections of the book are quite wordy and hard to follow, and i don't have any way to check my practice work: there are virtually no answers to any of the practice questions.
thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it the relativity sections of Purcell that you are having trouble with?

ender2309 said:
... and i don't have any way to check my practice work: there are virtually no answers to any of the practice questions.

Not true. :smile: You are free to post your attempts at problems here and get feedback.

Daverz said:
Is it the relativity sections of Purcell that you are having trouble with?

yeah, not so much the actual relativity work (I've always found it to be more or less of a breeze), but the application to electric fields and magnetic fields.

essentially, my biggest problem right now comes down to magnetics. i know that E' parallel=E parallel and E' perpendicular is equal to gamma(Eperp+beta cross Bperp),

but i don't know how to apply that, at all.

Assuming you're interested in noble purposes, the solutions to a great many of the problems in Purcell are available somewhere online, simply through a google search.

Also, if you're having trouble comprehending the discussion of relativistic E&M in Purcell you're somewhat out of luck, since that's the lowest level introduction I know of (lower level texts usually don't go into it, and higher level texts like Griffiths have a more advanced approach). That said, it might be worth it to read the section in griffiths merely to give a different wording.

The only other undergrad book I know of that covers E&M from a relativistic standpoint is Schwartz's Principles of Electrodynamics. It is a beautiful book, but at a higher level than Purcell. Still it's inexpensive (Dover edition) and you might find it fills in gaps in understanding.

thanks! a friend of mine ended up having griffiths, and i guess it was just the way purcell explained it that tripped me up, because after reading the relevant sections there it cleared up immediately.

Jackson is what I use.

Related to Navigating Purcell's Physics Course: Challenges & Solutions

1. What is Purcell's Physics Course and why is it challenging?

Purcell's Physics Course is a popular introductory physics textbook used in many universities. It covers a wide range of fundamental topics in physics, including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, and optics. The book is known for its clear writing style and emphasis on conceptual understanding. However, it can be challenging for students due to its rigorous approach and the complexity of the subject matter.

2. What are some common challenges students face when studying Purcell's Physics Course?

Some common challenges students face when studying Purcell's Physics Course include understanding complex mathematical equations and concepts, applying abstract concepts to real-world scenarios, and managing the workload of a comprehensive physics course. Additionally, students may struggle with visualizing abstract concepts and connecting them to experimental evidence.

3. How can students effectively navigate through Purcell's Physics Course?

To effectively navigate through Purcell's Physics Course, students should first make sure they have a strong foundation in math and physics fundamentals. They should also carefully read and understand each chapter, taking the time to work through practice problems and using any supplemental resources provided by the instructor. Additionally, forming study groups and seeking help from tutors or professors can also aid in navigating through the course.

4. What are some strategies for solving problems in Purcell's Physics Course?

Some strategies for solving problems in Purcell's Physics Course include breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, drawing diagrams and visual aids to better understand the problem, and utilizing problem-solving techniques such as dimensional analysis and estimation. It is also helpful to work through example problems provided in the textbook and to practice regularly with a variety of problems.

5. How can students stay motivated while studying Purcell's Physics Course?

Staying motivated while studying Purcell's Physics Course can be challenging, but there are a few strategies that can help. Setting achievable goals and breaking up studying into smaller, manageable chunks can help prevent burnout. Additionally, finding a study partner or group can provide motivation and support, and seeking help from professors or teaching assistants when needed can also help keep students on track.