Navigating Physics in Grade 12: Should I Hire a Tutor?

In summary, the person is struggling with physics at the Grade 12 level and is considering hiring a tutor. They are also unsure how often they should meet with the tutor. The expert suggests reviewing algebra and trigonometry first before seeking a tutor. They also provide a link to a helpful resource for learning math and physics.
1irishman
Hello,
I"m struggling with physics at the Grade 12 level. I'm in my 30's and haven't looked at physics or trigonometry for at least 20 years! Has anyone ever used a tutor before and had success with this method of learning? I'm considering hiring a tutor, but I'm not sure how often I should meet with them etc? Any suggestions would be welcome. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem in what you ask is that a tutor cannot do your learning for you. If you have not touched Algebra and Trigonometry in 20 years, then you need to study these again for several weeks or more to build up your strength and skills. Once you do this, THEN maybe a tutor could help you with difficulties in Physics (or also in mathematical skills for physics).

I don't normally post commercial links, but these videos are very good:

http://www.mathtutordvd.com/

He is very methodical in his approach - good for someone who is struggling with the material.

1irishman said:
Hello,
I"m struggling with physics at the Grade 12 level. I'm in my 30's and haven't looked at physics or trigonometry for at least 20 years! Has anyone ever used a tutor before and had success with this method of learning? I'm considering hiring a tutor, but I'm not sure how often I should meet with them etc? Any suggestions would be welcome. Thank you.

May I ask why you are learning Physics at this point? Is it part of a larger educational plan, or just for fun (for example)?

Related to Navigating Physics in Grade 12: Should I Hire a Tutor?

1. What are the benefits of hiring a tutor for grade 12 physics?

Hiring a tutor can provide personalized instruction and guidance to help you better understand difficult concepts in physics. Tutors can also help improve your problem-solving skills and provide additional resources and practice materials.

2. How do I know if I need a tutor for grade 12 physics?

If you are struggling to understand the material or consistently receiving low grades in physics, it may be beneficial to hire a tutor. Additionally, if you have specific goals or aspirations that require a strong understanding of physics, a tutor can help you achieve them.

3. Is hiring a tutor expensive?

The cost of hiring a tutor can vary, but it is important to consider the potential long-term benefits of improving your understanding and grades in physics. Some tutors may offer group sessions or online options at a lower cost, and there may also be resources available through your school or community.

4. How often should I meet with a tutor for grade 12 physics?

The frequency of tutoring sessions will depend on your individual needs and goals. It is important to have consistent sessions to build upon previous lessons and reinforce understanding, but the exact schedule can be determined with your tutor.

5. Can a tutor help me prepare for exams in grade 12 physics?

Yes, a tutor can help you prepare for exams by reviewing material, providing practice problems, and offering test-taking strategies. They can also help you identify and focus on areas of weakness to improve your overall performance on exams.