Navigating Career Changes and Post Grad Studies: My Story

In summary: I am thinking of studying in UK or Australia.In summary, the person is considering going back to school but is unsure if it is the right decision because of the current job market. They are also considering going to graduate school part time.
ank_gl
Its been almost 2 years since college & I am in my 3rd job(8 months each), or 5th(if i consider 5 days also), courtesy recession. It really messed up my career plans. First two were completely into project management & I had to get out of 'em. After more than a year, i got into what i wanted. I am in jet engine R&D now & i am loving it, no paper work, no silly meetings, all day i spend in the assembly hanger taking apart anything & everything i get my hands on.

The problem: I always wanted to go for post graduation. After college, I couldn't. Now when I think about going for it, I feel insecure. I don't know what the job scenario is like after a masters degree. How necessary/beneficial a phd is? The kind of work I am into is defense related, i am unsure how other countries see somebody coming from the defense background of a foreign country ie the job opportunities.

I ll be taking GRE this September & plan for Fall 2012. It is still more than a year to go, but it is just too dicey if I would want to leave job.

I really don't know if I am looking for help or suggestions. It is sort of a confusion on how to proceed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not do both at same time?

Go to graduate school part time, and keep your day job.

Talk to your manager, they might allow you flexible working hours.

Many schools have evening or late afternoon classes. Some have early morning classes. Work around your work schedule. It is no problem if you go part time.

This is what I would do.

ah, about that. I should have mentioned, my bad.

I am not in US & i would not prefer to go for higher education in my country since, let's just say, its not good enough.

Related to Navigating Career Changes and Post Grad Studies: My Story

1. What inspired you to make a career change and pursue post-graduate studies?

After working in the same field for several years, I felt like I had hit a plateau in my career and wanted to challenge myself and learn new skills. I also had a strong interest in a specific area of research that I wanted to explore further. This combination of personal and professional motivations inspired me to make a career change and pursue post-graduate studies.

2. How did you balance your studies with work and other responsibilities?

Balancing my studies with work and other responsibilities was definitely a challenge. I made a conscious effort to prioritize my time and set a schedule for myself. I also communicated openly with my employer and family about my commitments and made sure to take breaks and prioritize self-care to avoid burnout.

3. What was the most challenging aspect of navigating a career change and post-graduate studies?

The most challenging aspect for me was managing my time and finding a balance between work, studies, and personal life. It required a lot of discipline and organization to stay on top of everything and avoid feeling overwhelmed. Additionally, adjusting to a new field of study and learning new concepts was also a challenge, but it ultimately helped me grow and develop as a professional.

4. How did your post-graduate studies contribute to your career change?

My post-graduate studies provided me with new knowledge and skills that were directly applicable to my desired career change. It also gave me the opportunity to network with professionals in my field of interest and gain valuable experience through internships and research projects. Overall, my studies played a crucial role in preparing me for my career change and helping me stand out in the job market.

5. What advice would you give to someone considering a career change and post-graduate studies?

My advice would be to carefully evaluate your motivations for a career change and ensure that post-graduate studies align with your goals. It's also important to research and understand the job market in your desired field and consider the financial implications of pursuing further education. Finally, don't be afraid to take risks and be open to learning and adapting to new challenges.