Navigating Cambridge Programs & Scholarships as an American Physics Student

In summary, the conversation discusses the eligibility and requirements for American students to apply to Cambridge University and the Gates Cambridge scholarship. It is mentioned that a bachelor's degree in Europe is typically three years, but for research in physics, a 4-year master's degree is recommended. The PhD program at Cambridge is only 3 years and it is unclear if American students are accepted directly from their bachelor's degree or if a master's is required. The conversation also mentions two possible master's programs in physics at Cambridge, and it is advised to contact potential supervisors for guidance on whether a master's is necessary for entry into the PhD program.
Bosley
I want to apply to Cambridge as well as for the Gates Cambridge scholarship. However, I am unsure of which programs I am eligible for as an American student with a 4 year bachelor of science in physics from a strong liberal arts college. I believe that in Europe, a bachelor's degree is three years. I also believe that traditionally a 1-2 year masters is completed before the PhD in most cases.

The PhD program is only 3 years, and I don't know if they accept Americans directly into it from their bachelors, or if a master of some sort is required. They say regarding the PhD: "requires applicants to have followed a four-year MSci or equivalent first degree and to have achieved or be about to achieve at least an upper second class honours degree from a UK university or the equivalent." What does this mean for Americans?

As far as masters degrees, there's a 12 month MPhil in Physics "by research" with some lectures as well as a thesis. There is also a 9 month MASt in Physics "taught alongside the Part III of the undergraduate MSci Physics Tripos and is designed to act as a top-up course for students who hold a 3-year undergraduate degree".

Which of these do I apply for?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bosley said:
I want to apply to Cambridge as well as for the Gates Cambridge scholarship. However, I am unsure of which programs I am eligible for as an American student with a 4 year bachelor of science in physics from a strong liberal arts college. I believe that in Europe, a bachelor's degree is three years. I also believe that traditionally a 1-2 year masters is completed before the PhD in most cases.

Yes, a bachelor's degree is 3 years but most people who would be considering research would do a 4 year masters. The masters is incorporated as a standard part of an undergraduate course ie you wouldn't generally do a 3 year BSc and a 1 year MSci - you'd just do a 4 year MSci.

Bosley said:
The PhD program is only 3 years, and I don't know if they accept Americans directly into it from their bachelors, or if a master of some sort is required. They say regarding the PhD: "requires applicants to have followed a four-year MSci or equivalent first degree and to have achieved or be about to achieve at least an upper second class honours degree from a UK university or the equivalent." What does this mean for Americans?

The UK system works quite differently from the US. Here, someone aiming to do PhD in Physics would have done a 4 year undergrad in Physics. This means they would have been studying only physics - there is no option for English/History etc. Hence, when you start a PhD in the UK, you go straight into research as you should have had specialized lectures etc already.

Bosley said:
As far as masters degrees, there's a 12 month MPhil in Physics "by research" with some lectures as well as a thesis. There is also a 9 month MASt in Physics "taught alongside the Part III of the undergraduate MSci Physics Tripos and is designed to act as a top-up course for students who hold a 3-year undergraduate degree".

Which of these do I apply for?

Whether you would benefit from a 1 year masters depends on what you want to specialize in and how good your current knowledge is. I would suggest looking at the Cambridge Natural Sciences syllabus (focus on the physics modules) and see how your knowledge compares. Also since there is no taught element in the PhD, the route to entry would be to contact Professors directly. Your best bet would be to contact potential supervisors as they will be able to advise you on whether you would benefit from a Master's.

Related to Navigating Cambridge Programs & Scholarships as an American Physics Student

1. What programs are available in Cambridge for American physics students?

Cambridge offers a variety of programs for American physics students, including undergraduate and graduate degrees, research opportunities, and study abroad programs. Some popular programs include the Cambridge Physics Tripos, the Master of Advanced Study in Applied Physics, and the Cambridge-Tsinghua Joint Research Center for Physics, just to name a few.

2. How do I apply for scholarships to study physics in Cambridge?

To apply for scholarships at Cambridge, you will need to submit an application through the university's online portal. You may also need to apply for specific scholarships through external organizations or agencies. It's important to carefully review the application requirements and deadlines for each scholarship you are interested in.

3. Can I study abroad in Cambridge as an American physics student?

Yes, American physics students can study abroad at Cambridge through various programs such as the Cambridge-Oxford Scholars Program, the International Summer Program, or the Visiting Student Program. These programs offer the opportunity to study at Cambridge for a semester or full academic year.

4. What kind of research opportunities are available for American physics students in Cambridge?

Cambridge is home to world-renowned research facilities and laboratories in various fields of physics. As an American physics student, you may have the opportunity to participate in cutting-edge research projects with leading scientists and scholars. You can also apply for research grants and fellowships to support your research endeavors.

5. Are there any resources or support for American physics students at Cambridge?

Yes, Cambridge offers a range of resources and support for American physics students, including academic advising, career services, and international student services. There are also student organizations and clubs specifically for physics students, as well as opportunities to network with other American students studying at Cambridge.