Navier Stokes with chemical reaction

In summary, the equations become quite complex when trying to include chemical reactions within the flow field.
optrix
I wasn't sure whether to put this in Aerospace, but decided on physics in the end.

1.) How do you factor a chemical reaction into the solution for the Navier Stokes equations? More precisely, how can you include the affects of a heat absorbing (endothermic), or heat releasing (exothermic) chemical reaction going in within the flow field? The main thing I have in mind is combustion reactions that occur in jet engines, which are of course exothermic.

My thoughts were that you would first have to calculate the enthalpy of combustion of the fuel. Then the amount of heat being released is related to the reaction rate, which depends on pressure, and density of air/fuel at a given point (Maybe even "concentration" is a better word). But then in turn, the amount of heat being released would affect the thermal expansion of the gas, and hence the pressure at that point, which again would change the reaction rate and amount of heat being released...etc... until maybe it reaches some kind of equilibrium?

I was also thinking that you would have to use scalar fields of the form f(x,t) for reaction rate and temperature. Would this be accurate?

2.) A related question - kerosene is made up of a whole mixture of hydrocarbons, and other things.

i. where can I find a list of the exact chemical compostion of kerosene? (I believe it may come in different 'grades' or classes, like A1, A2.)

ii. can you consider kerosene to be a uniform mixture of its constituent compounds, and therefore asign to it an overall enthalpy of combustion, which is like an average for all the constituents?

I'm having a lot of trouble finding information on any of these things, so if anyone knows then please help me out. (Number 1 is the main concern, but though I might as well drop number 2 in there too :) )

Appreciate any help, regards, Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
Can't help with number 1 but Kerosene is also called No. 1 distillate. During the refining of crude oil the fraction obtained after gasoline is a light distillate called kerosene.

The API gravity for No. 1 oil is between 40 and 44. this is a low sulfur oil with about 135,000 btu's per gallon. The carbon and hydrogen content of 40 API gravity oil is

Specific gravity: .8251

% carbon: 85.93

% Hydrogen: 13.07

% noncombustibles: 1

For part 1, the energy absorbed/released would be applied in the heat source of the energy equation. The continuity equation would have to account for the destruction of the fuel and oxidizer and the creation of combustion species, and similar for the momentum equation.

I've not done NS for combustion systems however.

You will have many coupled N-S type equations:

1) the conservation of mass, for each species, including sources and sinks via the chemical reactions
2) the conservation of momentum equations for each species, including diffusion via concentration gradients in the body force term.
3) the conservation of energy equations for each species, taking into account the thermodynamics of all the chemical reactions.

There should be some simplifications out there- I worked with combustion folks in the past- but I forget the details.

Related to Navier Stokes with chemical reaction

1. What is Navier Stokes with chemical reaction?

Navier Stokes with chemical reaction is a mathematical model that combines the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the motion of fluids, with chemical reaction equations, which describe the conversion of reactants into products. This model is used to study the behavior of fluid flows that involve chemical reactions, such as combustion, in a wide range of applications.

2. How is Navier Stokes with chemical reaction solved?

Navier Stokes with chemical reaction is typically solved using numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite volume methods. These methods discretize the equations and solve them iteratively, taking into account the effects of both fluid flow and chemical reactions.

3. What are some applications of Navier Stokes with chemical reaction?

Navier Stokes with chemical reaction has a wide range of applications, including combustion engines, chemical reactors, atmospheric chemistry, and even biological systems. It is used to study the behavior of fluids and chemical reactions in these systems and to optimize their design and performance.

4. What are the limitations of Navier Stokes with chemical reaction?

Navier Stokes with chemical reaction is a complex model that requires significant computational resources and assumptions about the behavior of fluids and chemical reactions. It may not accurately capture all aspects of a real system and may not be suitable for all types of flows and chemical reactions.

5. How is Navier Stokes with chemical reaction related to fluid dynamics?

Navier Stokes with chemical reaction is a subfield of fluid dynamics, which is the study of the motion and behavior of fluids. It combines the fundamental equations of fluid dynamics with chemical reactions to model more complex systems. Both fluid dynamics and Navier Stokes with chemical reaction have many applications in engineering, physics, and other fields.