Nautilus-X - NASA's Multi-mission Space Exploration Vehicle Concept

In summary, the conversation discusses the discovery of the Nautilus-X project and the possibility of testing its centrifuge on the ISS in 2013. The project is seen as a potential game-changer in manned space exploration, but there are concerns about its feasibility due to NASA's track record and budget issues. Questions are raised about the logistics of supplying food and regulating the atmosphere on the Nautilus, with a summary of the project's details provided for reference.
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm very interested in Nautilus-X, looks like it could really usher a new era in manned space exploration. Unfortunately considering the track record of NASA's various plans for the future over recent years along with the budget issues I'm not holding my breath that this will become a reality. It would be great if it did but I can see it being suspended due to budget cuts and that 2030 goal for a Mars mission being pushed ever further into the future.

What is the concept in supplying food for 6 astronauts for 24 months? Carrying about 5 metric tons of frozen food, or growing food under special GRO-lamps? What about oxygen regeneration and CO2 elimination from the Nautilus atmosphere?

There's a summary of the project http://hobbyspace.com/nucleus/?itemid=26786 (bottom file, Holderman 1-26-11).

I'm not sure how they plan on getting the food, I presume it's frozen because if they grow it they would still have to take all the nutrients, seeds, equipment etc. It would end up massing more that way. How they plan on scrubbing the air will be interesting, IIRC one of the early Russian space stations reached dangerous levels of methane in the atmosphere from all the...natural processes of the astronauts.

Last edited by a moderator:

I find the Nautilus-X concept to be a very exciting and promising development in the field of space exploration. The idea of a multi-mission vehicle that can support long-term human presence in space is crucial for our future endeavors beyond Earth. The use of a centrifuge for artificial gravity is a smart solution to the challenges of prolonged weightlessness in space, and the fact that it will be tested on the ISS in 2013 is a significant step towards its realization.

Furthermore, the Nautilus-X's modular design and potential for refueling and reuse make it a cost-effective and sustainable option for future space missions. Its capabilities for both human and robotic exploration also make it a versatile platform that can support a wide range of scientific objectives.

I am eager to see the results of the centrifuge testing on the ISS and look forward to the potential advancements that the Nautilus-X could bring to space exploration. NASA's continued efforts in pushing the boundaries of human knowledge and technology are truly inspiring, and I believe the Nautilus-X is a prime example of this.

Related to Nautilus-X - NASA's Multi-mission Space Exploration Vehicle Concept

What is Nautilus-X?

Nautilus-X is a concept for a multi-mission space exploration vehicle developed by NASA. It is designed to support long-duration human missions beyond Earth's orbit, such as to the moon, asteroids, and Mars.

How does Nautilus-X work?

The Nautilus-X vehicle consists of several modules that can be assembled in different configurations depending on the mission. It includes a propulsion system, living quarters, a laboratory, and a docking port for other spacecraft. The vehicle would be launched into space using a heavy-lift rocket and would be powered by a combination of solar panels and a nuclear reactor.

What are the benefits of using Nautilus-X?

Nautilus-X offers several benefits for space exploration. It can support long-duration missions, allowing for more extensive scientific research and exploration. Its modular design also makes it versatile and adaptable for various missions. Additionally, the use of a nuclear reactor for power can provide a reliable and sustainable source of energy for extended missions.

Are there any risks associated with Nautilus-X?

As with any space exploration vehicle, there are inherent risks involved with using Nautilus-X. These risks include potential malfunctions, exposure to space radiation, and the challenges of long-term space travel. However, NASA has implemented stringent safety protocols and design features to mitigate these risks as much as possible.

When will Nautilus-X be ready for use?

As a concept vehicle, Nautilus-X is currently in the early stages of development. There is no set timeline for when it will be ready for use, as it will depend on funding, resources, and the success of test flights. However, NASA is actively researching and testing technologies that could be used in the development of Nautilus-X in the future.