Nature of Photons: EM Wavelengths & Speed

In summary: I'm not entirely sure.In summary, when discussing the nature of photons, jtbell argues that they are similar to particles in that they move side-to-side along a "wavelike" path. Introducing the wave function does not help to clarify the question, and in fact may confuse the reader.
.Q.
I was wondering what the nature of a photon is, when I was thinking about different EM wavelengths.. If you compared the distance traveled by two photons of different energies, wouldn't the more energetic one travel a longer distance (assuming they have the same amplitude)? It seems like it would be something akin to two people running across a surface modeled to resemble the wave nature of light. If the runners were the photons running across the waves, the runner running across the the more 'energetic' landscape would have to cover a longer distance and a greater speed to keep up (move at c) with the 'photon' moving across the surface with a shorter amplitude. Wouldn't it have to move faster than c?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you thinking that a photon moves side-to-side along a "wavelike" path as it moves forward? It doesn't do that. In a diagram of the electromagnetic field as a wave, the vertical axis doesn't represent position, but rather the strength of the field.

Ooooohh, ok. I did some more reading. That makes sense. Well, that was easy. Thank you :)

say jtbell...is the wave function the best way to answer this question?

I was thinking about an example of relativity...where a train is moving almost exactly at the speed of light...say...1 foot per second slower than the speed of light. Well a little girl runs forward in that train but won't break the speed of light...because the time function will slow her down. So, as she approaches the 1 foot per second...she slows down in time...never exceeding that 1 foot per second.

I think it is the same with energetic photons or particles.

I think introducing the wave function to this question just gets completely disconbobulating.

Is that right or am I way off?

MarcStone said:
say jtbell...is the wave function the best way to answer this question?

I was thinking about an example of relativity...where a train is moving almost exactly at the speed of light...say...1 foot per second slower than the speed of light. Well a little girl runs forward in that train but won't break the speed of light...because the time function will slow her down. So, as she approaches the 1 foot per second...she slows down in time...never exceeding that 1 foot per second.

I think it is the same with energetic photons or particles.

I think introducing the wave function to this question just gets completely disconbobulating.

Is that right or am I way off?

It is right that the girl in your example wouldn't reach lightspeed (although your
understanding of the reason why seems a little bit confused). It is wrong that
this reasoning is a better way to address the OP's question, though, or in fact
that it answers it in any meaningful way. The OP's question was motivated by
an incorrect mental model of the propagation of photons as little balls moving
up and down in a wavelike movement; jtbell's reply was directed at clearing
the OP's misconception, which was the cause of his confusion.

As an aside, there's no mention to (quantum) wave functions anywhere in jtbell's
post; the waves he and the OP are referring to are just electromagnetic waves.

Oh I think I see...I thought "strength of the field" was wave function

Related to Nature of Photons: EM Wavelengths & Speed

What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle that makes up light and other forms of electromagnetic radiation. It has zero mass and travels at the speed of light.

What is the nature of photons?

Photons are considered to be both a particle and a wave. This means that they exhibit characteristics of both a particle and a wave, making them unique in the study of physics.

What are electromagnetic wavelengths?

Electromagnetic wavelengths refer to the different lengths of electromagnetic waves, which include radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays. Each type of electromagnetic radiation has a different wavelength and frequency.

How fast do photons travel?

Photons travel at a constant speed of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, which is the speed of light in a vacuum. This speed is considered to be the fastest possible speed in the universe.

What is the relationship between energy and wavelength in photons?

The energy of a photon is directly proportional to its wavelength. This means that the shorter the wavelength, the higher the energy of the photon. This relationship is described by the equation E=hc/λ, where E is energy, h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and λ is the wavelength.