Natural Period of Vibration for Mass with Torque

In summary, a body of arbitrary shape with mass m, mass center at G, distance D, and radius of gyration K is hanging and pinned at the top. To determine the natural period of vibration when displaced by angle P and released, the sum of torques is equal to its moment of inertia. By applying the small angle approximation, the differential equation becomes \ddot{P} + \frac{K^{2}}{g D} P = 0, which can be compared to the harmonic oscillator equation \ddot{x} + \omega^{2}x = 0. By identifying the coefficients, the natural period of vibration can be calculated.
adoado

Homework Statement

A body of arbitrary shape has a mass m, mass center at G with a distance of D and a radius of gyration about G of K. It is hanging, and pinned at the top. If it is displaced a slight amount of angle P from it's equilibrium position and released, determine the natural period of vibration.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Sum of Torques = Ia. Hence, I = K2m

The torque applied by gravity: -mgDSinP = K2ma

Hence, mgDSinP + K2ma = 0
By the small angle approximation..

mgDP + K2mP'' = 0

Is this correct so far? I am lost at what to do next,

Cheers,
Adrian

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I just have to ask, you have not defined K so I'm not sure your derivation is correct.

Assuming it is correct, you just got your answer. HINT: Compare your final differential equation with the harmonic oscillator differential equation.

i.e.Compare
[itex]
\ddot{x} + \omega^{2}x = 0
[/itex]

with yours:

[itex]
\ddot{P} + \frac{K^{2}}{g D} P = 0
[/itex]
the rest is just identification.

Tell me if this was helpful, good luck.

Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks for that! I am a little confused about how the K2 coefficient moved from the angular acceleration to the angle, though? ^^

Oh my bad, just a typo. Here's the good one:

[itex]
P + \frac{K^{2}}{g D} \ddot{P} = 0
[/itex]

Just got the P miced up with the P'' for a second.

Cheers, thanks for that, I got it! :)

Thanks very much for that, I appreciate your help
Adrian

Related to Natural Period of Vibration for Mass with Torque

1. What is the natural period of vibration for a mass with torque?

The natural period of vibration for a mass with torque is the time it takes for the mass to complete one full oscillation or vibration without any external forces acting on it. It is determined by the mass, the torque, and the stiffness of the system.

2. How is the natural period of vibration calculated?

The natural period of vibration for a mass with torque can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(I/K), where T is the natural period, I is the moment of inertia of the mass, and K is the stiffness of the system.

3. What factors can affect the natural period of vibration for a mass with torque?

The natural period of vibration can be affected by the mass of the object, the torque applied to it, and the stiffness of the system. Other factors such as damping, friction, and external forces can also influence the natural period of vibration.

4. How does the natural period of vibration impact the stability of a system?

The natural period of vibration plays a crucial role in determining the stability of a system. If the natural period of vibration matches the frequency of external forces, resonance can occur, causing the system to vibrate with larger amplitudes and potentially leading to instability. Therefore, it is important to design systems with natural periods that do not coincide with external forces.

5. Can the natural period of vibration be altered?

Yes, the natural period of vibration can be altered by changing the mass, torque, or stiffness of the system. For example, increasing the stiffness of the system will decrease the natural period of vibration, while increasing the mass or torque will increase it. Additionally, external forces can also alter the natural period of vibration by introducing new frequencies to the system.