Natural Group Homomorphism in Action

In summary, a homomorphism is a map that preserves the structure of a group. It is often used in abstract algebra to study the properties of groups and their subgroups. Examples include the homomorphism from Z to Zp that maps integers to their corresponding integer mod p, and the induced map from Z/n to a group G that preserves the original map from Z to G. The "natural" aspect of a homomorphism refers to its ability to behave well under composition, making it a useful tool in studying group structures.
ti89fr33k
What is it, and can you give me a few examples of how its used?

Thanks,
Mary

Physics news on Phys.org
A homomorphism is simply a map between groups that respects the groupiness of the groups. (I don't know why Natural is there, that has a specific category theoretic definition that isn't necessary at this stage.)

I don't follow what you mean by "used". I could tell you abuot the properties of homomorphisms that are important. We just find them useful. I mean what's the "use" of a surjection, and injection, addition, division. Perhaps if you explain waht you wanted to know in terms of how you "use" those then we could say more. 1

Maybe by "natural" he means something like the projection G --> G/K?

One example you've probably used quite a bit is the homomorphism from Z to Zp that maps an integer to the corresponding integer mod p.

heres a little example comprising both matt's categorical point and hurkyls example.

suppose you have a group map from Z to a group G and suppose that n goes to the identity e. then there is an induced map from Z/n to G such that the composition

Z-->Z/n-->G equals the original map Z-->G.

this is a naturality property of the map Z/n-->G.

Another one is that if G-->H is another group homomorphism, then n will still go to e under the composition Z-->G-->H, and the natrual map Z/n--H will equal the composition Z/n-->G-->H.

the fact that the construction of the map Z/n-->(anything), [factoring the map Z-->(anything)], behaves well under composition, is the categorical naturality property.

It is so natural that I did not bother to check it here, it just has to be true.

Related to Natural Group Homomorphism in Action

1. What is a natural group homomorphism?

A natural group homomorphism is a mapping between two groups that preserves the group structure and operations. This means that the homomorphism preserves the group's identity element, binary operation, and inverse elements.

2. How is a natural group homomorphism different from a regular group homomorphism?

A natural group homomorphism is a specific type of group homomorphism that is compatible with other structures, such as categories and functors. It is also unique up to isomorphism, meaning that there is only one possible homomorphism between two groups that satisfies the natural conditions.

3. What are some examples of natural group homomorphisms?

One example of a natural group homomorphism is the inclusion map, which maps a subgroup to its parent group. Another example is the quotient map, which maps a group to its quotient group. Both of these maps preserve the group structure and operations.

4. Why are natural group homomorphisms important?

Natural group homomorphisms are important because they allow for a deeper understanding and connection between different mathematical structures. They also provide a way to compare and relate different groups, and can be used to prove theorems and solve problems in various areas of mathematics.

5. How can natural group homomorphisms be applied in real-world situations?

Natural group homomorphisms can be applied in many areas, including physics, computer science, and biology. For example, in physics, group homomorphisms are used to describe symmetries in physical systems. In computer science, they are used in cryptography and error-correcting codes. In biology, they can be used to study evolutionary relationships between species.