Natural frequency of a wine glass

In summary, you can potentially use a high-pitched scream to shatter glass. It may be difficult to find the right frequency, and other glasses may be too soft in comparison.
sniffer
Does anybody know the typical natural frequency of an empty wine glass?
I want to conduct a demo experiment of breaking a wine glass with
a sound wave from a distance. Has anyone here done it before?

I need a signal generator (sine wave) and an amplifier. What kind of
loudspeaker do I have to use? What frequency?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ping the wine glass with your finger. The note you hear will be the resonant frequency. Either measure it with a microphone and a-silly-scope, or just compare it with a known note on a piano or guitar or something.

sniffer said:
Does anybody know the typical natural frequency of an empty wine glass?
No such thing as a "typical" wine glass frequency. Each glass will be different.
I want to conduct a demo experiment of breaking a wine glass with
a sound wave from a distance. Has anyone here done it before?
I've played around with making wine glasses sound by running a wet finger around the rim. This is what you need to do to find the natural frequency of the glass in question.
I need a signal generator (sine wave) and an amplifier. What kind of loudspeaker do I have to use? What frequency?
The only way to find the frequency you need is to start off as close to the pitch of the glass as you can and then fine tune your generated signal. Wine glasses are high pitched, so I'd say use the best tweeter you have available. In general design your system for maximum amplitude.

Also, you can't do this with cheap wine glasses as these have a wider frequency range at which they will resonate, leading to a smaller amplitude when they do - they are therefore reluctant to break unless a very high amplitude signal is applied to them.

You are looking at £30 - £40 a glass ($50 - $60) from what I have been told by someone who pursued this...

Maybe they told me wrong??

Yeah, this site says lead crystal glass is best:

Can a very high-pitched scream really shatter glass?
Address:http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20011212.html

Other glass is too soft by comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Natural frequency of a wine glass

What is the natural frequency of a wine glass?

The natural frequency of a wine glass is the frequency at which the glass will vibrate when struck or excited. This frequency is determined by the size, shape, and material of the glass.

Why is the natural frequency of a wine glass important?

The natural frequency of a wine glass is important because it can affect the sound quality and durability of the glass. If the glass is exposed to its natural frequency, it can vibrate and potentially break. It can also impact the pitch and resonance of the sound produced by the glass.

What factors determine the natural frequency of a wine glass?

The size, shape, and material of the wine glass are the main factors that determine its natural frequency. Thicker and heavier glasses will have a lower frequency, while thinner and lighter glasses will have a higher frequency. The shape of the glass can also affect the frequency, as well as the material it is made of.

Can the natural frequency of a wine glass be changed?

Yes, the natural frequency of a wine glass can be changed by altering its size, shape, or material. For example, a thicker or heavier glass will have a lower frequency, while a thinner or lighter glass will have a higher frequency. The material of the glass can also be changed to impact its natural frequency.

How is the natural frequency of a wine glass measured?

The natural frequency of a wine glass can be measured by using a device called a frequency meter or by performing a physical experiment. The frequency meter will measure the vibrations of the glass and determine its natural frequency. In a physical experiment, the glass can be excited and its vibrations can be measured using a stopwatch or other tools.