Natural Frequency & damping coefficient from transfer function

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of obtaining equations for w0 and ζ in a transfer function of a buck converter. The person seeking help has attempted algebraic manipulation but has not been successful and is asking for guidance. Another person suggests splitting the transfer function in order to proceed.
Brianrofl

Homework Statement

Here is the transfer function of a buck converter I derived:

fasfasf.PNG

What I need to do next is obtain equations for w0 and ζ. I know how to do this for equations that follow the general form:

sfasfsaf.PNG

But in this case I just can't figure out exactly how to do it. How do I find a value for w0 that satisfies both the 3rd term in the denominator and the numerator?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried a bit of algebraic manipulation using different values for w0 but without much luck. I know -- I hate to ask for help without showing any of my own work -- but I'd actually rather just be pointed into the right direction with this. It's something I've never really been able to do, and google searches on the subject were always useless because the transfer functions examples start with follow the generic form shown above.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you'll have to split the transfer function. Like 1 + sRC as (1/Den) + (sRC/Den) and then proceed. Just a guess.

Good guess jaus!
As for the OP: what is "d"?

Related to Natural Frequency & damping coefficient from transfer function

What is natural frequency?

Natural frequency refers to the frequency at which a system will naturally oscillate when disturbed.

What is a damping coefficient?

A damping coefficient is a parameter that determines how quickly a system will return to a steady state after being disturbed. It represents the level of damping or resistance in a system.

How are natural frequency and damping coefficient related?

The natural frequency and damping coefficient are inversely related. This means that as the damping coefficient increases, the natural frequency decreases and vice versa.

How can natural frequency and damping coefficient be calculated from a transfer function?

The natural frequency and damping coefficient can be calculated from a transfer function by finding the imaginary part and real part of the transfer function, respectively. The natural frequency is equal to the square root of the real part, and the damping coefficient is equal to the imaginary part divided by two times the natural frequency.

Why are natural frequency and damping coefficient important in engineering?

Natural frequency and damping coefficient are important in engineering because they help engineers understand how a system will behave and respond to external forces. They are also used in the design and optimization of structures and machinery to ensure stability and performance.